We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to dress in paris in mid june

Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
how to dress in paris in mid june

curious about what to wear mid june in paris.

two caveats

1) I come from the southern U.S. and it is hot here, it is already 80 F (27C) here and will be 90F (32 C) by then, so I will already be acclimated to being warm. 70F (21 C) will be a big temp drop for me.

2) my religion precludes me from wearing pants or shorts or mini's etc - knee length or longer skirts only.

suggestions? comments?

also please comment on shoes - I have birkenstock sandals - which are always the most comfortable for my feet, and a pair of dansko close toed shoes - which make my arch hurt unless worn w/ socks (thinking I better buy something else....

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
548 Reviews
from US$72.50*
Skip the Line: Eiffel Tower Tour and...
658 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,213 Reviews
from US$121.30*
Eiffel Tower and Louvre Museum...
821 Reviews
from US$123.80*
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

You'll be fine with sandals and skirts. I find fuller, longer, skirts more comfortable than short in hot weather. Check longer skirt lengths, though, to ensure it's not so long you'd be stepping on the hem going up/down stairs or catching the hem between your heel and the sandal.

Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

so it won't be too cool in june? Also, when it rains (in the south) it is really hot and muggy, what is rainy weather like in paris?

Georgia
Level Contributor
115 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

and I take it by your reply that birkenstocks will be appropriate and I won't have to worry about close toed shoes?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,799 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

I have a couple of long (ankle length) broomstick silk skirts that are the best for traveling. I pack them by twisting them into a knot to retain the broomstick crinkly texture and they are so lightweight that they weigh next to nothing. You can often find these broomstick skirts in cotton as well, but silk weighs less.I'm packing them for my trip in June. As for shoes, comfort is most important since you'll be walking a lot, so pack your most comfortable pair for sightseeing.

Edited: 17 May 2013, 02:34
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

Check the weather report before you leave. It could be hotter, it could be colder. I'd bring light weight layers in neutral colors that you can mix and match. Bring a light sweater or two, and maybe a spring weight rain jacket. You'll want an umbrella. Tights and/or leggings to layer under the skirts if you need them. The Birkenstock sandals should be fine if the weather is fair. If the Dansko shoes hurt your arches now, you'll definitely want to look for a shoe you can walk long distances in. There are some great shoe threads here...

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

I have never known it to be as muggy in Paris as Georgia, not even close!

You will be fine in sandals, unless there's a lot of pouring down rain, which would be most unusual.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

I take a long black dress and a long black skirt. I pair that with a variety of lightweight sweaters (the dress is tank style, but I would never go out and about in Paris with bare shoulders, longterm personal preference).

Depends on the sandals. Sandals and Paris walking don't combine well for me (except for a pair of rather clunky looking Clark sandals, which are, btw, fine with a longer dress or skirt, as they are almost invisible). I've already told the story about our French hostess (not in Paris, at a B & B in the Loire) who asked me whether everyone back in California wore broomstick skirts (apparently she thought only gypsies wear them). But, I had two. One was a black silk one (which I still think looks nice when I see our photos from that trip) and the other was two shades of light blue (and that one, well, it stays home now).

If you can walk 5 miles at home on cobbled/rough streets in Birkenstocks with no problems, then yes, they'll be fine in Paris (I most certainly cannot and my Birkenstocks practically ruined my first trip to Paris). The amount of "slippage" that occurs with a sandal (plus the various urban obstacle's one's feet can encounter) means that while I still *may* pack a pair, they cannot be my main walking shoe. My husband (who is European and whose mother is European and whose grandmothers all are from Europe) tried to tell me this about sandals but I wouldn't listen (and my own grandmother, who emphasized her European lineage - despite living most her life in Hawaii - said: always take three pairs of shoes any where you go, as changing off shoes is the best thing you can do).

So, the Clark sandals (which look nice with a long skirt) may go.

We've been in Paris every June for the past six years - it was hot, one time, for three days - and I was glad of my sandals then (however, now, I would just pick up a cheap pair in Paris rather than tote mine across the planet to wear on three days of a longer trip).

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
252 Reviews
Jesolo, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Europe
Europe
World
New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

Even in summer, I also wear something over tank or tops with straps, mostly for sun protection since I don't care for sun burning onto bare skin and fabric absorbs perspiration. Love linen, silk, blouses which double as "jackets", long sleeved with the sleeves rolled up a bit.

I always carry a few baby wipes in a zip lock, which are fantastic for freshening up on a hot day.

My sandals are my very most comfortable footwear, so wear them whenever possible. I bought a pair (Clarks) in London, but they weren't nearly as comfortable and were far more costly.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

I also wear Birkenstocks in summer and have walked many miles in them all over Paris as well as other European cities. So definitely bring them. There will always be those who say sandals are not suitable for European conditions, well Birkenstocks are made in Europe (Germany rather than France, though) and I find tem absolutely fine for the conditions -

*PROVIDED THAT* it is warm enough to wear them with bare feet. I can not get on with Birkenstocks over socks, since I am unable to get the same grip as with bare feet.

I don't know whether your religion precludes leggings if worn under a skirt as footless tights - if you are able to do this, you could keep your legs warm whilst still wearing your Birkenstocks with bare feet.

I still think, though, that you need to be prepared for wearing some kind of closed-in footwear, since you may find bare feet too cold in the evenings or on cooler days.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Europe
Europe
World
Germany
Germany
Europe
France
France
Europe
Perry, Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how to dress in paris in mid june

there is a mephisto shoe store a block from where we are staying in paris and I am highly tempted to wait and get a close toed shoe there. good idea or not?