We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Dreaming trip report

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
European Dreaming trip report

Well we have arrived back home after a wonderful trip. Paris was our last destination of our 24 night trip and I have yet to write the trip report about Paris. But I have started it so if you are interested in the other area's that we travelled to visit our blog.

Day 1 www.1hipxrayr.blogspot.com/2013/05/day-1.html

Day 2 …blogspot.com/2013/05/day-2-cell-phones-cham…

Here is a special thank you post that I did prior to leaving just in case some of you missed it.

tripadvisor.com/…0

Edited: 17 May 2013, 10:39
ireland
Level Contributor
976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Hi Indygirl, great read and lovely photos. Looking forward to more.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Great start Indygirl, looking forward to more

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Thought that I might just throw out a quick trip report for our trip to Paris. If I wait until I post the first 18 days of our trip it will take forever and I'd probably forget too much. I will post more details on Paris on my blog as I catch up.

We arrived a little after noon on Friday May 3'rd with a 90 euro taxi from Lagney sur Marney after we dropped off the RV. We oggled over our great view from the apartment, dropped our bags and ran out to get some lunch nearby. Bought groceries and stayed in for dinner to admire our awesome view of the Eiffel Tower at sunset.

Up early and off by bus to Saint Chapel and Notre Dame Cathedral. We paid the 4.50 extra to tour the Treasuries wing at Notre Dame......well worth it. Had a wonderful lunch at Esmerelda behind Notre Dame, I've got some great stories about the service here but will wait and put it in the blog. Back to the apartment for a few glasses of wine on the balcony then a taxi to Spring restaurant. Spring was the best meal we had in Paris and was a good value at 79 euro for a 7 course meal.

Sleep in on Sunday morning, then up and out to lunch in our neighborhood at L'Atlantique near Gare Montparnasse...this becomes our favorite of the area (best French Onion soup I had in France). Enjoyed sitting and watching the people of the world come out of the train station. Went up the top of Montparnasse tower and the clouds parted for a wonderful view. We then jumped on a bus and went to the Eiffel tower and took another million pictures. 2 hour wait to get to the second level and then a 45 minute wait to get to the summit, if it wasn't over crowded. We decide against this wait since we had just been up Montparnasse tower. I will always remember the smell of the Jasmine bushes in full bloom. We spent a wonderful sunny afternoon in the area then walked back to the apartment. One word of warning if google maps says it's a 20 minute walk (yes I had the walking icon on google maps pushed) consider it to be at least an hour. OMG we were tired by the time we made it back to the apartment. An unremarkable meal out at Bistro 15 and then back to the apartment.

Monday morning we enjoyed our pastries from the apartment watching the low clouds cover the E.T.. It soon starts raining and we decide to go to the Louvre. I had originally planned to do the Louvre on Wed afternoon since they had late evening hours and I had heard it would be less busy. Wish we had kept with this plan as it seemed the mass of humanity of Paris was at the Louvre that day. A note here is that we entered through the Carousel entrance per recommendations here on the board, but we were sent up to the Pyramid entrance for security screening. I'm thinking this may have been do to increase in screening since the pick pocket employee walk out a few weeks before. Had another good lunch even if the service was slow, but they were busy at Cafe Grand Louvre. Got a lot more details on the Louvre later on. Dinner this evening was at Cafe Contant, again another great quality meal at an exceptional price. We made some friends with some Americans sitting 3 inches away, LOL, as is typical for the tables in Paris. Back to the apartment to fall asleep watching the E.T. sparkle, yes you can see it from your pillow.

As Mark slept in Tuesday morning I ran down and got us some pastries. Before leaving to sight see we decide to walk down to the post office practically under the apartment to check on the cost to mail a few things back to the USA. Thank goodness we did this today as we find out they will be closed on Wed & Thur. We purchase the 47 euro box (accommodates 7 Kilo's or about 15 lbs) take it back to the apartment, pack it and fill out the paperwork, and take it back down and drop it off. Proud of our self's that we have adapted enough to do this without much English speaking staff for help. We received the box in about 9-10 days. We then catch a bus to take us to E.T. so that we can do a HOHO bus tour. We got on the correct bus but is was going the wrong way and ended at Luxumbourg gardens. As was the case for our whole trip anytime we didn't end up where we were trying to go we ended up someplace just as good if not better. I had Lux. gardens on my to do list but figured we wouldn't have time but the good Lord had a a different idea. Not only were we at these gorgeous gardens just before the tulips were done blooming we were right by Medici fountains. Walked around for about an hour and then off across the street to Le Luxumbourg Brasserie for another great lunch in the marvelous sunshine. I had a hot goat cheese salad that was very good. We then found the bus going the correct direction and made our way to the HOHO bus for a tour. Some people think these are overpriced I found it a good choice as it allowed us to see most every site that we wanted to see. When we first got to the bus stop there was a bus waiting but it had no seats available on the top so we waited the 7 minutes for the next one. As we were waiting a French tour guide walks right up and tells his group to get in line for the bus. Just then the bus pulled up and he proceeded to get on. I had enough of this type of crap while in Paris and wasn't standing for it. I stepped forward and put my arm in front of him and said that we had been waiting longer. He said something in French and was trying to argue with me. My voice gets extremely high at this point as I begin to argue with him (giggles as my friends know what I mean here). In clear English he quickly says just go then. So I allow the couple that had been waiting ahead of us on and then we got on. We used the last of our carnet ticket up so we opted for a taxi back to the apartment with our walk home on Sunday on our mind. This evening we ate at our favorite neighborhood restaurant L'Atlantique again. The waiter and bartender recognized me as we walked in and it was as if we got the royal treatment.:)

Wednesday morning I wake up and wonder who had beat me up over night. Mark also woke in pain. We're thinking it must have been being bounced around an the HOHO bus. This was our last day of vacation and it greeted us with pouring rain. Mark ran and got the pastries this morning and we enjoyed the morning watching the clouds come in and out around the E.T. We had planned on going to the Orangerie Musee and Angelinas Tea room today but neither one of us were in the mood for fighting more people. We had lunch at a local restaurant that will remain unnamed per DJKBooks request since it was her recommendation. We both loved it so much that we made reservations to go back again that evening. Unfortunatly it was not as good at dinner and we had dined and paid and were gone in less then 1 hour. Our quickest meal the whole time in Paris. We then went next door to our standby L'Atlantique and had one last espresso before we left Europe.

Thursday goodbye Paris. We had made reservations with G7 taxi to pick us up for the airport at 9:30am. When we walked off the elevator at 9:25am he was there waiting and already had 11:40euro charge on his dash...whats up with that? Not certain if he had his meter running for a while or do they automatically have a destination charge programmed in. Then I could have kicked myself when he asked which terminal at Orly and I did not have my many notes available to check. He checks a book he has in the taxi and off we go. So he drops us off with a charge of approx. 40 euro. Mark almost accidently tips him 10 euro but I caught it before he was gone thank goodness since he dropped us at the wrong terminal after all and we had to take the tram to the correct one.

It was a great trip but I did not love Paris like I thought that I would. It could have been that I have over romanticized it all of these years or just because we were tired from our first 18 days, or most likely I had come to love all of the smaller locations that we visited and I just wasn't in the mood for all the people that flood Paris. I would not call the French rude (see my references in my first few days of the trip on my blog) but Parisiens do have a different attitude then any other Europeans that we had the pleasure to interact with. I hate to group all Parisien in the same category as I had several wonderful interactions with waiters and others in Paris and I received much help from the local Parisiens that frequent this board and am very appreciative. Thank You all.

Now I can say my dream has been realized.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Bump

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Fun report... Am now off for more reading your blog....

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Day 3 in Heidelberg

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4438756727476488345#editor/target=post;postID=832979201847441566;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=1;src=postname

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: European Dreaming trip report

lets try this again

Day 3 Heidelberg

…blogspot.com/2013/05/day-3-autobahn-auhsfar…

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: European Dreaming trip report

I'm so sorry you didn't fall in love with Paris!

Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
333 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Great blog! As much as Paris is my favorite place (I've been 5 times) I also love England & Scotland. Italy & Germany and so many other places are on my list. Looking forward to reading more.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: European Dreaming trip report

Thanks guys. No worries TracieKnits I still enjoyed myself and don't regret a thing and am very happy for the experiance and may get back some day if I can afford it, I saved for over 20 years for this trip. If everybody loved it there would never be any rooms available.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 05:32