We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate dress in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ft Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate dress in Paris

I will be going to Paris in August. I understand it will be hot and humid. I'm from Texas so my standard summer outfit is a pair of khaki shorts (respectable length) and a light cotton t-shirt. Shoes would be either sandals or Nike tennis shoes on days that I am walking a lot. I'm not a dress/skirt kind of girl. Is this offensive to Parisians? Can I get into the cafes dressed like this? We do not have plans to go anywhere nice just see the tourist sights and stop into cafes. Also, I plan to pack some jeans and maybe 1-2 blouses.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

Offensive? Nobody in Paris cares what you wear. It's a big city, not Harper Valley. Dress for comfort. It's your money and your vacation.

Yes, you can get into cafes dressed in anything.

Ft Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

Thank you for your comment. I am relieved. I do love my tees and khaki shorts. Many friends suggested I dress to impress but I plan to dress for comfort.

Thank you,

Suzanne

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

Paris is a lot cooler than Texas. You might be cold in shorts and a t-shirt. Have you looked at the average temps on weather.com?

I was in Paris and London last August. It was definitely too cool for shorts. I'm from Saratoga Springs, NY, which is a lot less hot than Texas too.

If you look at the sorts of things people pack, most people bring pants and a skirt or dress or two - and it's not because of modesty. It's because that's what is appropriate for the weather. But be sure to check the forecast on the day before you fly, as there are occasionally heatwaves in Paris.

ETA: here are some links:

weather.com/outlook/…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k53274…

Edited: 19 May 2013, 14:38
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

Khaki may be a problem in terms of keeping the shorts clean. Darker colored shorts would probably be a better choice.

Paris
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

You will fit right in, especially in August, when many Parisians are out of town. Most of the people there will be tourists.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

Many people are wearing maxi dresses this year.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

You'll be fine in whatever makes you comfortable. Get a pair of lightweight jeans in case it's not warm enough for shorts.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

When it is hot, Parisians dress worse than the tourists. (Don't pay attention to the poor people going to their offices or returning from them.)

Here is my proof: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

If the weather is hot, you will be fine in shorts and t-shirt. You can not be sure, though, that it will actually be hot - it might, or it might not. So pack some jeans and a jacket as well.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Appropriate dress in Paris

As someone who hails from a warm humid climate Tampa -- and visits monthly -- I suggest a linen tee or shirt or two preferably the sort that look fine wrinkled. Cotton can get soggy in humidity and you can always wear one over a camisole or tee. It's nice to have a pair of pants or dark rinse jeans and a blouse if you decide on a more special dinner out. But ymmv