We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

A travel agent (who has left the agency) reserved Hertz rental car to pick up near Gare du Nord. We then head for Chartres. Very nervous about driving in Paris and would like reasonable alternatives. We are three travellers, including an 11 year old. Suggestions for easiest driving route? Other ideas?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

If you are driving straight to Chartres from Paris, then I'd suggest getting the train from Paris to Chartres and renting the car there.

Canada
Level Contributor
333 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Train leaves from Gare Montparnasse, a 1 hour non-stop trip to Chartres.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Paris to Chartres is just a commuter train ride. I can't imagine renting a car to go there unless you have other things to see along the way -- or if you have mobility issues.

In any case, it is very easy to get out of Paris to the périphérique ring road and just circle around Paris until you reach the exit for Chartres. www.viamichelin.com will show you the way.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

I'll add, IIRC, that cars are forbidden in the old town.

Edited: 20 May 2013, 18:03
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Thanks so much. We are taking the car on to the south of France after we stop by Chartres. I was just wondering if it was worth lugging our suitcases thru train stations and onto trains, etc. to avoid driving in Paris. If it's not actually too big a deal to get onto the ring road and if the traffic there is not too terrible then maybe this is the best plan.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Driving around Gare du Nord is a pain, not because it's especially difficult, but because it gets bunged up due to the new bus lanes they've put in. Normally, the thing to do would be to go for the nearest access point onto the Paris ring road ("Périphérique") which from Gare du Nord would be due north to Porte de la Chapelle and then head west (Périph. Extérieur). However, as this route is a bit of a mess at the moment, I'd suggest heading further west, picking up the Périph. after Porte de la Chapelle.

Once on the Périph., follow blue signs to Bordeaux/Nantes.

Try to pick up the car after 10.00am and before 4pm.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Thanks again - you're an enormous help!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

Since you are continuing south from Chartres, a rental car makes perfect sense.

However, I would suggest that you check the rates at www.autoeurope.com to compare them to your Hertz rate -- you might want to change (and you still might end up with a Hertz car!).

9. Re: Gare du Nord to Chartres by rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 06:17