We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts from Australia for our host

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
241 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts from Australia for our host

I am planning on bringing a small selection of Australian delicacies for our host.

However my husband thinks I am silly for taking to Australian chocolate (Haigh's) and wine (a Hunter Valley shiraz) to France. I, however, think they can stand up against any international produce! And it's nice to try something different.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

(I'm guessing Vegemite is probably out)

Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,945 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

For your "host" is this a friend or family, otherwise bringing a gift is a bit too intimate..

If its your friend on family then you should know best what they like but as I said, otherwise I would suggest you bring nothing.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

Tim Tams of course!

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

Depending if they're French or Australian

If Australians, then dried Apricots (proper dried, not the semi dried ones) and Vitawheat (Mrs Wiz can't get enough of 'em). If they're French then something vaguely aboriginal in the line of house decoration: a tablecloth or the like.

I just wouldn't bother with wine or chocolate - Australian wine may have progressed from Red Ned, but you can buy some Australian wine in France (and to most palates, mine included, it tastes like "Australian wine" even if made in Hungary by Australians)

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

How about some OZ music?

There must be a compilation with Kylie, Nick, Men At Work, Rose Tatoo.....

Edited: 21 May 2013, 10:47
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

Personally, I wouldn't give Australian chocolate or wine to a French person. Tim tams, Wagon wheels, yes, because they are a little more unique. Maybe a landscape print of the beach or outback?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

I would also avoid products where French expertise is probably higher, such as wine and chocolate (and Vegemite would probably kill drug-sniffing K9 units at the airport, so best avoid as well). Some outback leather / stones / semi-precious stones products would probably feel more original, as long as they do not look over the top cheesy. Maybe a didgeridoo or a Crocodile dundee style hat?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,597 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

HB77.... I would stick with the wine and chocolates. If you can get a bottle of "Two Hands Shiraz" 2010 from the Barrossa it was voted third best wine in the world last year. I would also go for some "Paddington Chocolates" from any DJ's store, they compare to any of the worlds best chocolates ( which actually come from Venezuala )

Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

I'm taking over some of my favourite chutney which is made with Australain "outback tomatoes" (made by a company that supports Aboriginal business development). It's readily available in large supermarket chains in Melbourne so may be available in Sydney. They also make a couple of nice meat "rubs" which come in a small tin - light and easy to pack. Also, Caramello Koala's for novelty value.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,931 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

French sensibilities might be offended by offering wine...

It's a minefield, that one. Many French people won't drink wine from a neighbouring department, let alone across the world. Offering wine is often perceived as a bit of a slight on the recipient's tastes (and who wants "Australian" Chocolate from Venezuala ?).

I would stick with something visibly and identifiably Australian. The reason I suggested the tablecloth is because every French person who visits our home loves the aboriginal tablecloths we have, which were bought in the NT (no thanks to me - Mrs Wiz is a cuplable party there...)

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1,851 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts from Australia for our host

Assuming that your hosts are French, then I'm with Wiz on something with an aboriginal design, such as a tablecloth, place mats, tea towels, shopping bag, etc. They are distinctive and there are some lovely possibilities. Best of all, this sort of item would travel well. Depending on their interests in music, another possibility would be a CD of a symphony performance at the Sydney Opera House. If you someday become hosts to your French hosts in Australia, then that's the time to bring out a bottle of wine and chocolates (and maybe some Lamingtons).