We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
221 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Hello,

First of all, my thanks to the forum experts - following your advice, we used AutoEurope to rent a car for our forthcoming trip to Normandy, and also got a theft and damage coverage through American Express.

Now, given that we do have the Amex coverage, we are supposed to decline CDW and theft insurance from a rental company in Paris. I am a bit worried that we might miss something while signing the contract, due to our "less than perfect" French. Could I kindly ask you to give me any pointers, please? Are there any check marks anywhere in the contract, or should we include a self-written comment like that? Is there a chance to get a copy in English upon asking?

This is our first time renting a car in Europe so I would much appreciate your advice.

Many thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

In my experience the customer service folks at the rental desks speak English very well and can help you. If you indicate you wish to decline the CDW, they should will show you where you need to initial or sign. Kudos on signing up for the Amex coverage, it looks like a great deal, but I haven't had to file a claim yet. Knock on wood.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

I nearly always get my cars from Europcar, and they have an English version of the contract on display at the counter. I have never read the contract myself -- too boring. However, six months ago I got a car from them using my Gold Mastercard and had an accident on an icy road. As expected, they deducted the deductible (duh), but when I filed a claim with Gold Mastercard, I was refunded in full after about 4 weeks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,014 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

If you are using both American Express insurance and renting form Autoeurope, you might want to call Amex just to be sure you are charged for the insurance before you pickup your vehicle. As Autoeurope is only an agent and not a rental car company per se, AE will not automatically trigger insurance coverage until you make the final payments to Europcar (or whichever company you use) at drop off.

If you are signed up for the Amex program there should be no problem if you have used the Amex card for the rental but if there is an accident, I like there to be no question about the coverage before I pickup a rental.

Florida
Level Contributor
221 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Great info, thank you Everyone! It is good to to know the customer service people are likely to speak English and that we should be able to see the English version if needed.

I guess my only remaining question (following Sarastro's comment) - don't we pay any fees upfront at all? AutoEurope advised that there are certain things excluded from our rental, like the second driver (moi), location surcharge (Gare du Nord), and a couple of other minor fees. If all of that is paid only upon return of the car, then I would indeed prefer to call ahead and inform Amex before the fact...

Thanks very much!

Edited: 24 May 2013, 04:08
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Hi Patricia13,

I will be picking up a car from the same Europcar location (I'm assuming it was Europcar?) in a couple of weeks. How was your experience with the rental agent?

Florida
Level Contributor
221 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Hi,

Overall, it wasn't bad (the agents spoke English just fine and we got an upgraded car, which was nice). The only downside was that Europcar counter was very busy (with quite a few people with the printouts from AutoEurope waiting in line) so we spent there longer than expected, which was tedious, not to mention affected our plans for that day. We were supposed to pick up a car at 11 or 11:30am and ended up getting out of there around 1pm, so I would recommend to take this extra time into consideration. Hopefully, you'll have more luck though!

Please note that the drop off location is not connected with the Europcar office underground; after parking your car in the garage, you will have to get out on to the surface level and walk back to Gare du Nord perhaps 0.1 mi or so. Make sure you take a little flyer with the exact location for the drop off.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 19:00
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,014 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

You can save yourself 40€ if you pickup your car at any intown Europcar location rather than going to a train station. I typically use the Europcar office at les Invalides which is near where I live but there are a lot of in town offices.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
11 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Thanks, Patricia! We're actually dropping off in Munich (ugh 250€ one-way fee) at the airport, so hopefully it's pretty straight forward. Sarastro, I am traveling with my 80 year old father-in-law who gets a little motion sickness, so I don't want to get in a cab straight after getting off the train. Also, many of the Europcar offices in Paris appear to have odd Sunday hours, and I'm eager to get to Bayeux before it starts to get too dark.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

I am always amazed by these train station pickup fees that you people pay. I pay 26€ a day for any small car that I get from Europcar anywhere in France.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 20:46
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,014 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Signing a car rental contract in Paris

Agreed k2.

I just paid less than that for a pickup and return at Europcar at les Invalides (3 days for $74, not euros). However, many of the inexpensive rentals to which you are referring have mileage or kilometer fees and it is here where the Autoeurope rentals can become much less expensive. Or one can simply avoid a train station or airport pickup.