We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kalaheo
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

I'm just wondering how concerned I should be about the aggressive pickpock issue in Paris, Anyone have recent experience, since they closed the Louvre one day in April because of it.

Allonsee
Level Contributor
836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

Diane, do a search of "pickpocket", sorted by date, on these boards. The subject has been covered exhaustedly and exhaustively.

2. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 10:20
Allonsee
Level Contributor
836 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

"Sara", there were posts two days ago about pickpockets. Give it a rest.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

"Sara E", at least be consistent with your ridiculous posts. Earlier in the week you say that you are planning your first trip and now all of a sudden you are back from an extended trip?!

Pickpockets do exist in Paris, as in many other cities but if you follow the basic precautions to be found in thousands of posts (recent or not, the advice is basically the same), you will be fine.

For recent experience, I can tell you I have been here for a week and saw no pickpockets or scams of any kind. I take the same precautions I do at home and wherever I am traveling and have not felt unsafe at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

Do you understand the difference between a mugger and a pickpocket? How does the 'flashlight ' thing work? Do you shine it on everyone within a 10 metre radius? How does that help in daylight? I'm genuinely perplexed.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

What if they steal the flashlight?

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,985 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

Yes, do a search--there is a lot of info already. Should you be concerned--the answer is yes. But follow your concern with cautiousness about keeping your possessions safe, not with excess worry. If you do a search of this forum and read the most recent posts, you'll get great tips for keeping your things safe. The first thing is to plan not to lug much around with you, of course. No need for anxiety, tho--just need for a good information and a plan for awareness.

i almost hesitate to say that my recent experience (just last month) was without incident of any sort--meaning I didn't even see one petition girl. I saw nothing happening even on the steps of Sacre Coeur. But I still carried very little money with me, carried one credit card securely fastened to an inside zipped compartment of my purse, etc. i don't want to encourage anyone to throw caution to the wind because of my recent experience--I just want to communicate that you can make yourself secure by using fairly easy methods and that your safeguards will not necessarily be tested in any way. Be realistic about your expectations--not overly worried, but not unprepared.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

I was in Paris a week after the Louvre closed in April and I can assure you that as long as you careful, you will not have any issues. My husband and I had no issues whatsoever, but we ignored all people that came up to us (honestly I think it's silly when people talk to strangers as it is!!), we were aware of our surroundings on the metro, and we kept our wallets/phones hidden (his wallet in his front pocket etc.). Just follow the advice here and you'll be fine!!

For ex: anytime someone came and stood near me while I was waiting for the metro I would step away from them. Who knows if they were normal people or pickpockets.

We would look at the metro doors as they opened and whichever of the doors had less people around it, we would enter there.

Most importantly - they have ATMs inside banks; don't use the outside ones. Just be aware and you're fine; don't let this ruin your trip.

I guess the point of this is - be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,126 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

Honestly, "Sara" is seriously doing a disservice to all the good people of Ohio -

I think the game is up - you are going but now you have already been? Glasses with mirrors on the side?

Sigh.

10. Re: Recent reports of increased pickpocket activity in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 10:20