We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which camera to take

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which camera to take

Although I have an expensive DSLR, my husband doesn't like lugging it around. For our trip to Paris, I think we should take it. We also have a point and shoot Sony. Usually when we travel, we take the small one b/c it's easier to carry and to shoot. However, I want GOOD photos on this trip. Is it worth hauling the DSLR around in your opinion--even though neither of us knows much about how to use its special features? Thank you, T.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which camera to take

Depends how you use the DSLR, IMO. If you use it in the "green" mode (all auto), shoot JPEG and do not post-process the files, then recent P&S can pretty much provide the same results.

The true power of DSLR comes when you enter the P/A/M modes with good lenses (2.8 zooms / 1.8 fixed), shooting RAW and post processing the output. I tend to believe Paris definitely deserves the second option, if you have the appropriate gear. Though of course, a photo is only as good as the camera holder is (Depardon could do marvels with an iPhone, I guess).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which camera to take

I use only point-and-shoot now and people tend to say that I take rather good pictures. Let's see, what can I give as an example? Well, here is my report from the Tour Montparnasse which mostly shows the zoom possibilities of a Lumix, probably quite similar to a Sony: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,694 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which camera to take

I travel with both but end up mostly using my point and shoot; like K2, you can see my results; mine are on www.janettravels.wordpress.com. The biggest advantage for me of my Nikon DSLR is that I have a good long lens and I find my favorite photos are almost always zoom photos -- my point and shoot has fair zoom capacity but the DSLR is much better. but I don't even carry a purse anymore when I travel, so lugging a big camera and perhaps a bag for that camera is just a hassle and I only do it now when I set forth specifically to photograph.

my next purchase will probably be a really great small camera -- my son has one and I am waiting for the next generation

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Which camera to take

K2 and Parisix,

I was hoping some of you who are "on site" would respond; thanks! K2, your photos with the small camera are quite good. I've found it to be sufficient for trips to Mexico, Hawaii, beach cities in the south of France, but I have noticed that if I try to enlarge beyond a certain point, my Sony pics blur. On the other hand, Parisix, I am not at all versed in using the DSL. I think I've had it for 7 years but sadly have only used it a handful of times b/c, as I mentioned, DH does like carrying it. Every time I haul it out, I have to reread the manual b/c it's been so long since the last time. I have a friend who is a photographer in his spare time. Maybe I need to take him up on his offer to show me some tips and tricks.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,835 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which camera to take

For our trip to Spain and Paris I took both a P&S Sony and a Lumix with a zoom. Whatever camera, be sure to have two batteries, the spare always charged. And always with you!

For more studied photos I used the "better" Lumix with its zoom and features. For quick shots, the Sony. If you like to take candids of people in public places, I found the P&S less intrusive - but for those set-piece and special pics, the better lens comes into play for me.

Like last night at the Trocadero, when the full moon was trapped inside the Tour Eiffel between the 1st and 2nd etages, as it went into sparkle mode. Not sure the Lumix was up to it, even then! Pretty sure I wasn't!!

Edited: 26 May 2013, 21:19
Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which camera to take

Wow, can you post that Tour Eiffel photo????

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which camera to take

Do not forget Moore's law: there is a good chance a recent P&S will do much better pictures than a 7-year old DSLR (which leads us almost back to the D200 times!).

To give you an idea:

- https:/…D300.jpg : taken with a mid-2009-generation DSLR

- https:/…SX260.jpg : taken with a early-2012-generation P&S

There is obviously less texture in the second one, but post-processing can still make this a fairer fight

Palm Beach Gardens...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which camera to take

I have taken each alone and both together on trips to Paris. If you are only using the "automatic" mode and the point and shoot has a minimum of 10x OPTICAL (not digital) zoom, you will be okay. I tend to shoot in manual modes so prefer the DSLR despite it's weight.

Having said that, I did not regret the trip when I only had the P+S because it rained for 12 days straight and my DSLR is too valuable to risk ruining in bad weather..

Agree with Parisix, photographers with the best of equipment must have the knowlege of good composition and light. I have seen amazing work by those with basic cameras.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which camera to take

The joy of Lumix and other P&Ss is that you can whip them out and capture the moment while the guy standing next to you with the pro job is still taking the cap off his rig. Plus the weight factor as a bonus. I'd never saddle myself with a big camera again.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which camera to take

To use a DSLR in manual mode, you'll need to practice how to use the camera before you leave or you'll be wasting a lot of time learning it on an expensive vacation. Nancy's observations about "optical zoom" lenses is important if you're using a P+S. The majority of your pictures in Paris will need a good wide-angle lens and whatever you bring will most likely not be wide enough. If you have a P+S that can do wide-angle well, it's probably all you need. The DSLR will be just another thing to worry about and you'll miss picture opptys because you can't simply point and shoot without some mastery of the DSLR. I carry a iPhone and a GoPro2 everywhere I go and I often come back with some pretty salable images without needing to break out the DSLR. For me, the best images appear unexpectedly. These tiny cameras are amazing for the opptys they allow you to seize.

Edited: 26 May 2013, 22:21