We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Hi I am going to Paris on Wednesday and I am only staying for 4 days. Since I have limited time, I was wondering which garden is more recommended? The Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg? There are so many gardens in paris and they all look equally beautiful however I could only go to one garden. Please help me out? Thanks!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

No reason at all why you can't do both!

If you really have to choose, Tuilleries with its amazing views of so many Paris monuments.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

I would suggest that you incorporate one (or both) into your existing itinerary. If you are planning a day to see the Louvre (even if only the outside) or l'Orangerie--or if you are planning to see Place de la Concorde and part of the Champs Elysees--then the Tuileries certainly will be an organic part of that itinerary. If you plan on seeing the St Germain and/or Latin Quarter areas, then Luxembourg Gardens fit in quite well, even if just for a stroll through. You need not see every square foot. In general, the best thing to do for a short visit such as yours is to make sure you group sights together by area. It seems almost certain to me that these 2 areas will be on the agenda.

Edited: 27 May 2013, 19:04
Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

I would say the Jardin de Luxembourg is the better bet.

It has more greenery, the big pond where children sail little sail boats, lots of seats, donkey rides and generally more to see.

FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Can you rent the sail boats?

Thank you!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,888 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Yes, you can rent them.

But, you can also rent them at Tuileries, according to TripAdvisor's attraction info - and we did see lots of boats at Tuileries. If I had only one garden in Paris, for me it would be Tuileries (can't believe I just typed that, as I was gung ho on Luxembourg). But, the proximity to the Louvre, to the river, to good shopping and to the D'Orsay and L'Orangerie means I favor returning again and again to Tuileries.

But the layout and fountains of Luxembourg Gardens is indeed something to behold. I think it takes longer to really see and appreciate Luxembourg Gardens, if that's a factor.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

You can rent boats in both gardens except in the winter.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

I love to wander through the Tuileries but it really is pretty bare as a garden. Much more greenery and pretty spots in the Luxembourg. However, you could combine the Tuilleries with the Palais Royale gardens; such a little jewel, doesn't take long to see and the shops surrounding it are little curiosities in themselves.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Hi JKChew,

Im pretty sure that you will go to The Tuileries while visiting Le louvre, because it's really close.

But I really love to go to Jardin du Luxembourg. I think it's less crowded.

UK
Level Contributor
69 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Luxembourg, less crowded. I always find my way back there. :) Note that the sailboats don't seem to be available during the day on weekdays unless it's holiday season.

FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jardin des tuileries or Jardin du Luxembourg?

Thanks!