We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Hello there,

There are 3 of us arriving Paris from Bordeaux for 4 days from 11/25-11/29, Please advise where is the ideal location to stay in Paris, easy access 3 or 4 star hotels/apts. What day trips would you suggest outside of Paris. In Paris, we will be doing the touristy stuff. One thing we like to do is to enjoy a great cup of espresso with pastries.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

I think that for 4 days, you probably don't need to consider day trips outside of Paris. If you had always wanted to see Versailles, I guess that would be the exception--but I'm assuming that since you didn't mention Versailles, it is not a top priority. There is more than enough to do in the city itself for 4 days, even if you just stick to the touristy stuff.

Most of the time when people are looking for easy access (as you mention), they mean they would like to be able to walk to several sights of interest. When that is the case, it's convenient to stay in arrondissement 4, 5, or 6.

However, public transportation is great, and the metro will get you where you want to go, so there is not a real need to limit yourself. And in November, the weather may not be great for walking anyway.

What type of environment in general do you like (lively, quiet, affordable, upscale, etc)? And what is your budget per night (the star rating doesn't help much)? Are you looking for a triple room?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,437 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

There are some itinerary suggestions to the right of your question. A guide book might also help you narrow down what you want to see in the city :-)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Mcal3K, Thanks for your detail response..

Yes! I would like to visit Versailles and possible Normandy. Before I proceed, I want to say we are open on how we should approach this Paris visit except that we are doing the touristy stuff and one or 2 out of Paris tours. We are open to touring ourselves in Paris or join the local day tours in Paris and outskirts. Since you mentioned that the weather is not an asset in November, probably local tours be a good choice? I am looking to pick on everyone’s brains for ideas and suggestions.

What I meant as easy access is proximity to train stations, food, grocery stores, coffee/bakery and some night life. Yes, we prefer lively environment. Our budget is probably under $300.00 per room per night and yes we are looking for a triple room. Is $300.00 a good budget?

Thank you.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

I think that you shouldn't really consider Normandy this time around. It is usually best as an overnight trip, but can be done in a rushed day. However, it begins to get dark early in November, and so you won't really have long daylight hours. So I think you would be short-changing Paris and Normandy.

Versailles would work well. And then I think you'll need your 3 days in Paris itself.

You should be able to get a triple room in November for your stated budget. A lively and convenient environment would be St Germain (6th) or the Latin Quarter (5th). The Millesime on rue Jacob is a popular choice as far as helpful staff and good location. Another option would be the Hotel Residence Henri IV, as they have a "family" room with a kitchenette.

If you would consider a budget hotel, then you could get 2 rooms (and thereby have 2 bathrooms also--very helpful when getting ready to go out for a full day). (If the 3rd person is a young child, of course this would not work). But if you'd like to explore the 2 room option, you are probably starting early enough to check out the Hotel du College de France.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

First off ... get a good guidebook and do your homework before you go. You will find things in the book(s) or online that interest you. Come back to TA when you find specific things that you want to know more about prices, etc.. There is a lot of help to be had here if you know what you are looking for.

Also do a search of this forum, a lot of questions have already been answered and will help you immeasurably.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 20:59
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Hi mcal3K,

Thank you for your insightful information. Would you recommend local city tours in Paris owing to the weather? Or prob be better off for us to do our own walking tours? We have decided to do our own to Versailles.

Where would you recommend the 3 days we spend in Paris? I have

- Lourve Museum

- Notre dam

- Montamarte

- Arc di trioumpe

-Champs-Elysées,

-Seine river cruise

Anything else I may have missed? Where in Paris is a good place to people watch and have good espresso and pastries?

Thanks

- Eiffel tower

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Hi, Boredy.

i know you said you will be there on the 25th thru the 29th. Are the 25th and 29th just partial days? Or will you have time to do anything on those days?

Are you trying to plan just the 26, 27, 28?

I would be happy to help, but knowing what days of the week you have available will really be helpful in planning.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Hi macl3K,

We will arrive Paris on Nov 25th at 2pm and depart Paris to London by train n on Nov29th afternoon. So yeah technically speaking 3 full days in Paris, 26-28th.

We can visit the Eiffel Tower and the cruise on Nov 25th, Versailles on the 27th and spend 26th 28th visiting those places I mention.

Thank you.

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,966 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

I think the Eiffel Tower and Seine Cruise are perfect ideas for arrival day. You can buy your eiffel Tower tix online ahead of time. Will save you some time in line. You can also board the Seine cruise from very near the Eiffel Tower. If it isn't good weather, maybe you'd want to take an evening bus tour instead. Or have a nice dinner.

For Eiffel Tickets: http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/

For evening bus tour, 90 minutes: http://www.foxity.com/

The Louvre is closed on Tuesdays, so that means you only have Thursday to schedule it. Your other option would be to go to Versailles on Thurs (instead of the Wed the 27th). If you go to Versailles on Thurs, you can take advantage of the Louvre being open late on Wednesday (until 9:45). That would also mean that earlier in the day on Wednesday, you could see the Champs Elysees and the Arc d'Triomphe, and actually walk from there to the Louvre if weather is nice. That is a very do-able walk, and you will see Place de la Concorde, etc as well.

Then on Tuesday, you could enjoy Notre Dame and the Islands in the morning and the Latin Quarter (around rue Mouffetard and Place de la Contrescarpe) at lunch time/early afternoon. You could head to Montmartre after that. (or do the reverse--Montmartre early in the day, followed by Notre Dame around 3 or 4, and the Latin Quarter for dinner.

Then Thursday would be Versailles, and you'd still have some time in Paris in the evening. You could do something you didn't get around to--an evening in the Latin Qtr or St Germain or Montmartre. (Or the Seine Cruise if the weather was poor on Monday.)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Paris for 4 days

Thank you very much for the suggestions! It sounds like a plan to follow. Do you think we should join a local tour to Versailles? or we can journey ourselves? How to get there?

Fyi, yeah we have decided to stay around the St. Germain/Latin Qtr (5&6 arr.). Do you have any good hotel recommendations? The ones that you listed I was not able to locate it at Hotels.com.

Thank you.