We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

Milan, Italy
2 posts
Save Topic
Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

I just arrived to Paris Nord by train from Amsterdam. According to guidance of google map, i looked forward to find RER E to go to my destination. When i passed a gate which shows direction of RER C,D and E. I couldn't find RER E by the f...ing sign!

Then suddenly, a girl came to me and told me may i help u!

I told her, yes thank you! I'm looking for RER E. She told, Ok! Come in this way. I told her i didn't buy the ticket for metro. She answer, no problem you can buy it by the ticket machine. Then she take me in front of ticket machine and ask me how many days you will stay in Paris and i answered 3. Then, she told me it's more reasonable if u take 3days valid ticket to use all transportation during your stay and she shows me the price of this ticket. It was 49. Euro. Then I ask her why does it too much and i just want to take one way ticket to get the hotel. She told me that the ticket statin is working just for a limit time and the line of them is too long.

Then, I ask her can i use of this ticket to go disneyland or versialles. And she told me yes, sure. You can use it for go any where by any transportation system in paris and show me the sign on machine (Bus+T+M+RER)

Finally, I convinced!

I ask her Ok! Please take it for me and i show 50 euro to her to pay. She told me, don't you have credit card. I told her not now! She told it just working by card. Would you like, pay by my card and then you give bill to me! I told her sure, if it's possible! Then she put her card on the machine and stand in front of the machine and then gave me a ticket and gave her the bill (50 Euro). Then she looked for changes in her bag, i i told her no need to changes. She thanks me and say bay!

Now, i should say at first, i really shocked when i arrived to hotel and ask from reception about the ticket and he told me it just a ticket for one way and for the children!!!

Then i want to ask, is there any possibility to refund my money or certainly not!?

London, UK
Level Contributor
300 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

You were very gullible and careless. And lucky that you were not bundled around a corner and mugged by her mates. In any city, these people hang around stations waiting for new arrivals who don't understand the ticket machines, currency or transport system. Why didn't you go to a window and ask a member of staff ? Why rely on the advice of someone you don't know ? I always hold onto a spare ticket when I leave Paris so that I have it ready for my next trip. Or I buy a ticket at St Pancras so that when I arrive at Gare du Nord I can walk brisk and fast to my destination. I cringe every time I see tourists struggling to buy tickets or struggling with the currency. Why don't they plan ? I remember helping an American girl years ago, who had just arrived from London on my train and tried to put a US dollar in the ticket machine !! And worse her purse was fully open displaying a wealth of cash and cards. I gave her a ticket and told her where to get her train but she looked confused. Plan your trip and be safe.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

You listened to whatever story a stranger told you, gave her money , and want a refund ? who do you think is going to refund you ?

This ticket scam has been described on this forum; and it's old because I was warned when first coming in Paris 25 years ago not to buy any ticket from anybody (there weren't any ticket machines at that time)

Edited: 01 June 2013, 16:01
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

If I understand this correctly, you purchased a child´s fare (demi tarif), ticket t+ for 50€, normal price is about .85€. And you what who to refund your 50€?

I might assume that your native language is Italian and the tickets machines have an Italian display option so it should have been very clear what you were purchasing and the price.

There is a 3 day pass which would give you unlimited travel to Disney or Versailles costing 47.25€. Are you absolutely sure that you did not purchase a Paris Visite ticket?

London, UK
Level Contributor
300 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

Why would a scammer be interested in buying a Paris visite ticket for a stranger, when their objective was to rip off the person ? A child ticket is the cheapest to get through the barrier. Can you imagine if an inspector asked to see the ticket and he/she produced it ? They would have got an immediate 30 euro on the spot fine. In total he/she would have lost 80 euro, that would have been an expensive welcome to Paris. Like, I say the person is lucky. If any stranger, anywhere in the world even in my home country tells me to 'come with them' I run for the hills. Isn't that what we are taught as children ?

Dereham, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

Sorry for your experience but like Onelifeliveit I do feel that you were rather gullible. I would like to ask Onelifeliveit a question. I will be travelling on Eurostar for the first time in July and am interested in the fact that you can buy tickets for the metro and maybe the bus at St Pancras? Could you possibly give more details about this such as: where to buy, payment in £s or €s, possibility of buying a carnet.

The fact that with a ticket alreay in my possession means that I can exit and not look so much of a tourist really appeals.Sorry to have hijacked your post Francesco!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,400 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

<<Why would a scammer be interested in buying a Paris visite ticket for a stranger,>>

Francescohadix H appears very confused. It´s very possible he was scammed. There is also a slim possibility that he was not. There are simply too many questions in reference to this story to draw definitive conclusions at this point.

It´s probable that Francescohadix H does not really know what kind of ticket he has in spite of what he may have been told or what he may have understood he was told at the hotel.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

Sara E?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

Even if his english is not perfect, the story seems clear to me. The girl got in front of the machine, used her own card, gave him a ticket and took the money.

The detail of being given a children's ticket, that lots of tourist don't actually know they exist, but are easily recognizable by hotel staff, really signs the scam and validates the story IMO.

London, UK
Level Contributor
300 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

I hear you but it seems that the hotel reception has already told him/her that it is a one way ticket for a child. At the very least he could show it to a member of staff seated in the ticket booth at any station. I have heard these stories before.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning! Rubbery in metro Paris by cheating new arrivals!?

There are posters and audio announcements in all of the big stations at the moment warning people not to give cash to any person offering to help them buy tickets. The announcements are in French, English, Spanish, Italian, German and Japanese.

This is an EXTREMELY common scam.

One of the first things I learned when I began to travel was to never be in a hurry when arriving in an airport or train station. I wander around, I see what people are doing, I figure out how things work, I look at all of the signs and I hear the announcements. The thieves and scammers are targeting people in a hurry and who didn't take the time to even check the ticket fares or anything else. One thing the scammers really despise is anybody who says "no, I'm not going anywhere yet; I have to wait for a friend..." They immediately go looking for other victims.