We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping private drivers

toronto,canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
tipping private drivers

hello, we have booked a private driver to take my family of 4 to Bayeux & pick us up 3 days later back to Paris (total cost 830 euros) what would be a good tip to offer???

thanks

coco45

11. Re: tipping private drivers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 04:35
12. Re: tipping private drivers

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: tipping private drivers

No, YOU are missing the point. It's not America. The culture is different. Tipping isn't normal in France, and if you throw unnecessary money at service providers they think you are a wasteful fool, which you are.

You make a deal with someone to take you here and back and the deal provider has figured out in advance exactly what he needs to make it work for him. There is NO CULTURE OF TIPPING IN FRANCE. What about that can you not get? He thinks you're a complete fool if you throw extra money at him and laughs about it and jokes with his friends in the bistro that night - " you shoulda seen what this idiot from Dallas gave me, for nothing! Next drink's on me, copain! "

What's a ": bone of thanks?" What a gross concept!

14. Re: tipping private drivers

Edited: 07 June 2013, 04:35
15. Re: tipping private drivers

Removed on: 08 June 2013, 21:05
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: tipping private drivers

david from dallas doesn't want to accept the fact that he doesn't understand that tipping is NOT the same in France as it is in the US. He's out to make American's look bad. It's embarrasing. It's been explainted to him before but he just wants to be 'right' and not 'accurate.'

I learned many years ago from European friends about the whole US tipping vs France tipping. I accept it.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: tipping private drivers

<<your shallow head views it as the same according to your ""rules">>

They're not MY "rules," it's the way things work in France, which you are apparently completely unfamiliar with. And as for the Dordogne, I am quite happy to know that you will never enter into my piece of paradise. We don't want your type here and fortunately don't often have to contend with people like you. I'm sure it would be infinitely boring for you, without any knowledge of the 75,000 years of history it has to offer and total unfamiliarity with the customs of provincial or even urban France and most likely no knowledge of French. Please, don't come. Just don't.

18. Re: tipping private drivers

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 05:05
19. Re: tipping private drivers

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 07:35
Edited: 07 June 2013, 07:35
Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: tipping private drivers

WTG St. Cirq!!

I guess the "d" in david stands for dense. Tipping is not the norm in France. How hard is it to understand this simple concept?