We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

Leaving for Paris this Tuesday- very excited but would love some help with Friday' afternoon's tight itinerary. Our plan (daughter and me) was to attend the 3 pm galeries lafayette fashion show (we have a voucher) then hustle to the Louvre, when hopefully it will be a bit quieter, spend a couple of hours, then make our way ovver to the Eiffel Tower for our 7:30 Reserved time. I'm now thinking this is going to be tough- didn't realize the distances. What is the best way to get from the Louvre to the ET? Metro seems long and indirect. Maybe by boat? Or should I rethink the whole plan as too frenetic? Thanks for any advice!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

Are you on vacation or an endurance event? Drop the Louvre. You have a voucher and a reservation, you can "do" the Louvre another day.

West Sussex, England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

I agree. Attend the fashion show, then take some time out to sit at a cafe or make your way early to the E.T. and sit in the sun in the Champ de Mars (depending on the weather, lol!) so that you arrive in plenty of time ready for your booking. I'd also be thinking something (light!) to eat during that time.

Save the Louvre for a different day when you have more time to enjoy it.

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
21,261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

You would maybe be able to spend two-three hours at the Louvre. Would that be enough?

Bus 69 will take you from the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower.

You must be on time at the Eiffel Tower.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

When do you plan to eat? You might have tiime to see the outside of the Louvre, but that's it.

After the fashion show I'd head to the roof top of GL and take in the view - then you can compare it to the ET. Then relax in a cafe before going to the ET.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

I have to agree with the others not to go to the Louvre on this day. It would be a frenetic day for someone who knows the transportation system well and since it is new to you, you should allow plenty of time to get from one place to another to account for any missteps.

If you want to see something else that day, why not walk over to Opera Garnier after the fashion show which is a few minutes walk from GL.

Meriden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
14 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

Just home from Paris(first trip)..couldn't agree more..skip the Louvre..the Opera was a highlight for us...literally across the street..walk next store to Printemps(able to see the marked differences between the two stores), go to the top of that building for the "view" and stop at their cafe for remarkable hot chocolate..we chose to use a taxi to get around town..granted more expensive, however, it allowed us to "see" Paris as we travelled from one area to another...and while you are at the Tower..take a ride on the merry go round..and enjoy a citron crepe while you wait in line..Enjoy your trip..

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

If you did decide to stick with your rather busy itinerary, the bus would be quicker than the métro. Bus 81 (direction Châtelet), which leaves from Place de l'Opéra, just around the corner from Galeries Lafayette, takes seven or eight minutes to get to the Louvre. Or there's bus 21 (direction Stade Charlety - Porte de Gentilly), which takes about ten minutes.

From the Louvre (the Palais-Royal stop), bus 72 (direction Parc de Saint-Cloud) takes you to the Eiffel Tower in slightly less than twenty minutes.

Use the same tickets you would use for the métro, and stamp your ticket when you enter the bus.

You can double-check times, routes, etc., on the RATP web site: http://www.ratp.fr/en/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
512 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

I'm with everyone else who says don't try to squeeze in the Louvre. GL rooftop has a nice restaurant where you can sip some champagne and take it all in, or follow any of the other suggestions. It's all much more fun if you don't DASH. We enjoyed approaching the ET from Trocadero and taking some time to enjoy the gardens and fountains along the way.

9. Re: Help with logistics - not great planning by moi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 06:16