We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

Nizwa, Oman
9 posts
Save Topic
Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

Bonjour All

This will be my first time to Paris. I will arrive by train in gare De Lyon train ststion. My hotel is near Trocadero metro station. I have been looking to use the metro without changes because I will have my bag with me and i'm afraid of getting lost/distracted in the metro.

I'm planning to walk from Gare de Lyon to a nearby metro station called Bercy which I can see in the metro map. From Bercy station I can take a direct metro ride to Trocadero.

Is it feasible to walk from Gare de Lyon to Bercy? Or there is a better option for me? Which exit to take in the station to exit in Rue de Bercy street (where I can walk to Bercy station).

Please help

Thank you

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,219 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

The easiest way would be to take line 1 on the metro, toward La Defense, and switch lines at Franklin D. Roosevelt. Then you'd get on the only other line at that metro stop, line 14, and go in the direction of Pont de Sevres. It's only a few stopsfrom there to Trocadero.

It really is not difficult to switch lines on the metro, because they're very well marked. You also don't have to worry about taking a wrong turn, as you would if you decided to walk from one metro stop to another.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

There is a direct bus from Gare de Lyon to Trocadéro, line 63: www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/cartebus.php…

Gare de Lyon is the beginning of the line so you can't go wrong and take it in the wrong direction.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 14:11
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,686 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

I would agree that your odds of getting lost are MUCH higher trying to find your way on the street, although you could google map the walk. We have more than once gotten turned around on leaving a metro station and ended up heading the wrong way and you can't go 'around the block' in Paris as it is not laid out in a grid. Tried to go around the block once on a stroll near an apartment in the 17th and ended up about a mile away from where I thought I was.

The metro is VERY well signed.. In making a change you just follow the very clear signs to the line you want and before you enter the tunnel to a particular platform there is always a list of the stops the train makes heading that way, so you can double check you are taking the train in the right direction.

All that said -- if there is a direct bus, that is easier with luggage and you will get to see the city as you make your way. The downside of buses is that they are slow and often there are no free seats -- I rarely don't get a seat on a long metro line; I rarely do get a seat on a long bus ride, at least the whole way.

Paris 4th Arr
Level Contributor
7,257 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

From Gare de Lyon, take métro line-14 to Bercy (escalators and elevators all the way to the platform) , at Bercy follow the signs to line-6 (escalators up + 1 flight of stairs down). Easiest and fastest routing hands down.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

We got a little confused on arrival at Gare de Lyon (via the TGV) when trying to find the entry to the metro. The Information booth staff were very helpful - and multi-lingual. Don't know how we missed it, but the entrance to the Metro is the large set of stairs (possible escalator, can't remember) that leads down from the middle of the huge Gare de Lyon concourse. Can't miss it - once you know, of course. Once down at the lower level, the signage was clear.

Will you have your ticket options sorted out? Using the small tickets usually bought in packs of ten. Or the various travel cards? As it's your first time, I'd keep it simple and buy a paper ticket just to get to the hotel - then sort out your other options to suit the length of your stay.

The bus may be a minor challenge with luggage -= depending on the size and your capacity to manage it.

My sense is that the Metro carriages are more accommodating - and if you follow the routes suggested above that offer escalators, you will manage the up and down between street and tunnels.

I wouldn't street walk - maps seem so clear, but then reality strikes, especially when you can't easily find street names (yes, I know they are fixed to the buildings, but sometimes above awnings, sometimes not right at the corner)...so you can be in for some back tracking and circling of intersections.

The Metro is straightforward, even for a first-timer. Just pace yourself - and as you seem to have done, know the line, the direction and your exit station. Even better if you can research the 'sortie" at your destination that best suits your hotel.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

Okay. First time in Paris, you say?

Take Line 1 to Charles de Gaulle/Etoile (direction La Defense) and get off there. The 'wow' factor for you will be to see the Arc de Triomphe right in front of you. Then simply locate Avenue Kleiber which exits off the roundabout that surrounds the Arch and walk for about 15 minutes down it until you reach Trocadero.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

"Don't know how we missed it."

For some reason, signs sometimes become invisible when you arrive in a strange place, even though they are in plain sight. This is generally because you are trying to go too fast. Just slow down and imagine that you have all the time in the world -- the proper signs will suddenly appear.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

Thanks for that K2 - that is exactly what seems to have happened to us. And as the confusion persists, the frustration rises...hence my appreciation for the information desk staff. They were great.

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,046 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

Correction to reply #1: That route is line 1 to Franklin D Roosevelt, then line *9* to Trocadéro, not line 14.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please Help on metro Arriving Paris in Gare de Lyon

GRA - I seem to recall a similar incident where you got turned around in the Barcelona Metro too :-)