We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best double digit arrondissement

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Best double digit arrondissement

Hello all, I will be going to Paris in the first week of September and it seem that the best advise is to stay in one of the single digit arrondissements. There will be eight of us so I'm not sure we will be able to find a hotel within the single digit arrondissements that will fit everyone's budget. I am looking for a place that has good restaurants, a lively nightlife and isn't too far from the major sites. When I say too far, I would prefer to be able to walk to the sites as I explore Paris during the day. If the sites were within a 30 minute walk that would be fine because I could see other sites as I walk. Would the 14th be a good choice? I hear the 11th is pretty nice too. I would probably want to spend at least one night in the St. Germain and Latin quarter area. Are there any arrondissements besides the 14th that are close to this area and wouldn't take a long time to walk at night or would I be better off taking a taxi at night? I know this is a lot of questions so I appreciate any answers. Thanks in advance.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

Aside from individual arrondissement considerations, keep in mind you'll be staying in Paris during the busiest month (by far) due to the large number of conventions. So considering the number of members in your party, I would really get going on bookings quite quickly.

That said, anything around Montparnasse (6th / 14th limit) or Bastille (11th) would indeed fit your requirements. I'd also consider the 12th, around Gare de Lyon or Nation, well equipped in transportation (a bit harder to walk to anywhere in Paris from there though).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

I spent a month in the 11th in November and two weeks in the 14th in May -- I would choose the 14th. We really disliked the 11th. It is convenient to the center but then so is the 14th. The 11th has a disproportionate share of bums, of aimless youth there to get drunk and scream all night, and just general ick than the 14th which seemed more filled with workaday locals. (If you are very young and plan to spend a lot of time drinking and hooting however, the 11th is for you)

It always depends on WHERE in the district you find accommodation -- I am sure there are lovely parts of the 11th and rotten parts of the 14th. We were near the Edgar Quinet metro about 3 blocks from the Luxembourg Gardens and really enjoyed the walkability of the area and the excellent inexpensive restaurants, traditional bistros and markets in this area. We will be looking for a rental in the 14th next time we go to Paris.

We have also really enjoyed long stays in the 17th, 18th and 20th but they are all definitely not within a walk of the center (except on an ambitious day) whereas the 11th and 14th are -- we had ND passes but mostly walked into the center and back when we were there.

You need to get this booked now for either area. The 11th does have a lot of lively nightlife so if that is a primary consideration, it might work well for you.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 17:19
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

I'll jump on my hobby horse one more time and tout using buses. There is absolutely no need to be tied to any single location, nor any need to walk miles and miles a day in order to "see the sights". We stay in the center of town but nightly travel to the 10th, 11th, 13th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th for dinner. With either a weekly or daily pass, you can hop on a bus and cross town to any destination WHILE seeing the monuments and historical neighborhoods in route. (And you can take your cute shoes!)

Note that the various arrondisements are in some ways like villages. You will "make peace" with whatever area you choose and make it your own. If you visit a shop once, you are a stranger; you'll probably be recognized the second time and are a regular by the third.

Edited: 10 June 2013, 17:33
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

I think you would be better served here on the forum by asking for more specific advice. For example, state your budget per night in euros, and tell us the configuration you need. (For example, "I am looking for 3 double rooms, each room no more than 100 euros per night.") If we have that info, then arrondissement number won't be limited. Maybe there is a place in the 5th that will work--maybe a place in the 9th or 12th. Right now, it sounds like your limitation is price, not arrondissement, so work by price. maybe the members of your group with a tighter budget can find a triple room, for example. There are other ways to work around this--but starting with specific cost is the way to begin, not starting with area.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

I think that any of the double digit arrondissements except the 16th is fine, and even in the 16th there are a few acceptable areas. My own preference would be the 10th, 11th, 14th, 17th, 18th if I were a tourist, but there are perfect little places in all of the other double digit arrondissements.

The 10th arrondissement should be the easiest one in which to find accommodations, because it has the second highest number of hotel rooms after the 9th (which is not a bad place either). The majority of European tourists -- and also French tourists -- prefer to stay in the 9th and 10th.

Washington D.C.
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

Thanks for the replies. We wouldn't want to go over 125 euros a night for a double. We would prefer a nicer hotel further out, than a below average hotel even though it is closer to the center. We don't plan to spend a lot of time in the room so it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of money on a room when we only plan to sleep there.

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,223 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

You will have to search patiently, and September is a popular time, but you will find choices at 125 euros for a double room. I recently stayed in the 9th at Hotel France Albion (double room for 119 euros). That was at the end of April, so September prices may be higher. It was in a great convenient location both for exploring other areas and for all the "fun" and convenience at your finger tips. Rue des Martyrs, a great market street, was the next street over--we spent lots of time there.

If you do decide to be in the more "popular" central locations, then I bet you could even find some places in the Latin Quarter for your budget (although they may be booked already).

Here are a few links to get you started. I have no idea what prices are for September, but this will give you a few specifics to get started pricing:

The Albion where I recently stayed:

www.albion-paris-hotel.com

Some good budget choices in the 5th:

www.hotel-diana-paris.com

www.hotel-marignan.com (I love this place--so friendly)

www.saintpierre-hotel.com (more basic)

www.hotel-collegedefrance.com (highly rated on TA)

www.residencehenri4.com (some rooms have kitchenettes, very convenient)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,899 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

Can also check Hotel Familia and Hotel des 3 Collèges, both in the 5th and close to many sights.

familiahotel.com/english_familia_hotel_paris…

https://www.3colleges.fr/en/

Hotel de la Paix Montparnasse would also fit your budget, is in a nice area, close to 6th and some sights.

http://www.hoteldelapaix.com/index_en.html

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
880 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

The Comfort Hotel Place du Tertre, Rue Tholoze 16 off Rue des Abbesses and Rue Lepic in the 18th is available for the first week of Sept for €650 for a double for 7 nights. www.booking.com

The area is quiet with loads of local restaurants etc. Metro line 12 (Pl.des Abbesses) and line 2 (Blanche) are both approx 5min walk. Sacre Coeur is about 10 mins walk away.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best double digit arrondissement

I will throw out another thought. It has always been our policy to take the best (largest and brightest) room in a 2* rather than the least expensive room in a 3 or 4*. We have rented a triple for some 20 years, loving the walking-around space, the extra window, the extra bed to toss stuff on, larger breakfast table, more chairs, etc. We find that we get lots more bang for the buck.