We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses in Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
208 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Buses in Paris

Hi all Paris lovers

We'll be in Paris for a few days next week and I wondered what advice or tips you can give me about interesting bus routes and how to use the bus system.

(Not the Hop-on and Hop-off buses)

I'm sure I could work it out but expert advice saves time!

In the past I've walked most places but can't do that this time and don't want to be stuck underground in the Metro, which can entail a lot of walking anyway.

Thanks in advance for helping me see this beautiful city from a different perspective.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buses in Paris

Everything you need to know about Paris transportation, including buses: www.ratp.fr

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,052 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buses in Paris

Walk out of your hotel and hop on the first bus you see bring a camera a take photos as you go when you reach journeys end hop on another one see how many it takes you to get back that evening.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buses in Paris

Both of the previous responses are good. At any bus stop, there is a map of the route covered by the bus that stops there. There is also a full bus map at every metro station, in the event that a bus stop isn't near where you're going and you need to supplement it with a metro ride.

I've never ridden it, but it seems to me I've heard that Bus #69 is a good (first time) tourist ride. Could be wrong, so check it to verify.

Pantin
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buses in Paris

It depends on what time of day you want to take the bus. I usually have to stand on the bus so I prefer to take the metro where you can always get a seat sooner or later.

If possible take the bus from one of the starting points -- the 20s leave from Gare Saint Lazare, the 30s leave from Gare de l'Est, the 40s leave from Gare du Nord, the 90s leave from Gare Montparnasse. The 50s start from various places in the center of the city.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 19:30
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buses in Paris

The #69 runs from the Tour Eiffel through the 7th, crosses the Seine and rides along the north bank past the Louvre and, from a distance, Notre Dame, turns up into the border of the Marais and east to Bastille, continuing northeast to less touristy areas.

The #85 travels from the left bank all the way to Clignancourt flea market, going up and rather around Montmartre. But if you get off at Jules Joffren, you can take the little Montmartrobus back up over the top to Sacre Cour and down to Pigalle...or back to Jules Joffren. Highly recommend. Of course, you can also catch the Montmartrobus at Pigalle.

The #39 runs north and south and takes you to the door of Bon Marche. The #68 takes you to Galleries Lafayette. Both run through the Carrousel of the Louvre and up Avenue de l'Opera.

The #75 is a wonderful bus that whisks you from the river at Pont Neuf north through the Marais and Republique to the hip canal area and beyond to beautifiul Parc Buttes Chaumont.

The #95 is our personal workhorse that runs from the Porte de Vanves (flea market) up through the 15th and St.Germain, crosses the Seine and Carrousel of the Louvre, up Opera, past Galleries Lafayette, St. Lazare, Montmartre cemetary and north to Porte de Montmartre.

These are just a few. I hate to sound like either a broken record or a zealot, but the buses are an almost free way to see and learn and own Paris. We often just pick a route and go joy-riding, never finding ourselves anywhere other than interesting.

DO go to any large metro station and ask either the ticket agent or information booth for a #2 Grand Plan bus and metro map. This is your personal copy of the large map posted at bus stops and in metro stations. It is FREE.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 19:36
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buses in Paris

I love the idea of "joyriding" the buses of Paris. I have spent many a memorable day hopping on a bus, getting off at its terminus, and trying to find my way back on foot to some central recognizable point. Fell in love with quite a few neighborhoods that way and saw things I normally never would have.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
813 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buses in Paris

Rick Steves' Paris Guidebook has information on several interesting-to-tourists bus routes in Paris, including details of route #69.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Buses in Paris

The Paris bus system is a well kept secret for most tourists. It took me many trips to actually discover its workings and value. Most tourists use the Metro but the older you get, the more difficult it becomes. Now, we use the Metro only if it is absolutely necessary and speed is of the essence. Every trip on a bus is a mini sightseeing tour. Rick Steves in his Paris guide has a section on Paris buses.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buses in Paris

you can get a bus route booklet at news stands. I have tried to fall in love with the buses but I guess I am just too twitchy. They take forever. Often there are not seats for long rides. And you often have to wait 10 minutes or so for the next one. In that time, the metro has me there and I am out walking around.

they are a godsend for people with mobility issues or with strollers. and some of the routes do give a good sightseeing ride if you can get a seat. the 69 which runs from the Eiffel Tower, through the Louvre, through Bastille and to Gambetta is a particularly good sight seeing route, but there are others.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buses in Paris

Rather than focusing on the time I am on a bus, I concentrate on the passing scene, something I can't do on the metro. And time waiting for a bus is time spent people watching, eavesdropping or window shopping. I am in Paris, after all, where there is something different to see at every turn if I just take the time to look.

10 minutes waiting for a bus in Paris beats 10 minutes doing most other things in most other places. :)