We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels or Reims

Sudbury, Ontario
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Brussels or Reims

We were all set to go to Brussels for a two days side trip but we keep reading about Reims and are now wondering if we should not change direction. Would anyone compare.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels or Reims

Brussels. I can take it or leave it.

Brugges is the much better Belgian alternative. I also prefer Reims over Brussels but not over Brugges.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels or Reims

Depends on what you are looking for. I loved Reims but dont see spending more than a day there. Good if you love champagne. Brussels is like any other large city and will be underwhelming compared to paris. But there are sites to see there (Manequin Pizs, Grand Plaza, St. Hubert, royal palace, grand sablon...a couple of museams). Brugge is nice, its historical, has beautiful canals. It would probably be a nicer change of pace than Brussels. Depends on what you want, champagne or beer :) (We also got tasty chocolate and frittes). Maybe do one day Reims, one day Brugge. Brugge would probably be more relaxing though. :)

Paris
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels or Reims

Brussels is no great shakes in my opinion. But it is only that, an opinion. I love Reims, the cathdral is a gem and you can take the train to Epernay for the second day to explore more of the champagne region.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels or Reims

If you really want an experience go to Reims (I am supposing you like champagne) and stay there - Hotel Continenal for more affordable or Les Crayeres for unreal unreal unreal! If you really want to see the gorgeous cathedral, and do shopping in the quaint downtown AND eat fabulous food (the restaurant at Les Crayeres is 3 Michelin stars) and go champagne tasting, two days would be perfect. We are spending two days this trip in Reims and a third in Epernay. So, a second day in Epernay as Good2go suggests is a great idea too. The most famous champagne houses in the world are in these two towns. Have fun.