We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
spending money

Hi. How much money would I need in Paris for 3 night's in November? I am not fussed on eating in pricey partisan restaurants. Low end will do for me. I also want to go up the eiffel tower and go in notre dame cathedral. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money

You can eat cheaply in Paris pretty easily. Stay away from hotel breakfast since they are typically overpriced. You can get a basic breakfast at a cafe for about €5 or less if you just want to pick up a yoghurt or something at a grocery store.

For lunch and/or dinner you can get filled baguettes, quiche, crepes, etc. for about €5 as well. If you want to do just one sit down meal per day, make it lunch where you can find a 2 or 3 course formule in many places for about €10-12. Menus are displayed outside so you can just walk around until you find something you like. The same places will charge significantly more for dinner.

Purchase your lift ticket to the Eiffel Tower in advance from the official web site or you can take the stairs up to the 2nd level for cheaper. This can't be purchased in advance but there isn't typically much of a queue.

Notre Dame cathedral is free but if you want to climb the towers there is a fee. Most museums and monuments are approximately €10. Frommers has an updated list of many popular attractions and the costs frommers.com/destinations/…62_indattr.html

Hope this helps.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money

If you are excluding lodging, then my estimate is that you will need €10/day for transport, €20-40/day for museum entry and miscellaneous, and €50-70/day for food (if you eat out every day). One can easily spend many times these amounts. You may want to buy a Metro map, for example (€1- €2) or if you sit down at an outdoor cafe and have a Coca-Cola (not advised), that can easily set you back €7 right there. Unless you have a concession, the Louvre costs €12- €16. The Eiffel costs €8- €14. The walk up the tower at Notre Dame costs €8.50.

While one can probably spend less than this, I think it would be difficult to see Paris in any depth on less than €80-€100/day/pp excluding lodging. One can cut out the museum tickets, for example, but why are you going to Paris? For longer visits one can sometimes control costs by staying in an apartment, buying food in supermarkets, and cooking for oneself, but that is marginal at 3 days visit. You can eat every meal at McDonalds, but who wants to do that? You can get a prix fixe meal at many places for €15, but that will not include a glass of wine.

My low-end assumption above is €10 for breakfast, €15 for lunch, and €25 for dinner, including wine. Others will no doubt quibble. As always, YMMV.

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money

Thank you much appreciated. I will be going to see the main sites and have a walk around. The reason I ask about food is I know Paris can be expensive for a two or three course meal and no matter the quality of the food I have never left a middle to high end restaurant thinking that was worth the £100pp. Easily pleased when it comes to food :) simple local delicacies suits me fine.

Again much appreciated

NY, NY
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money

Also, not sure if you are planning to use cash or charge meals, etc. We were in Paris a week ago and just saw my credit card statement - it definitely pays to charge as much as you can if you have a credit card that does not charge for foreign transactions. We got euros here in the US and our account provides a slightly better exchange rate than regular accounts and still, when the screens were quoting 1.30, we paid 1.36 - 1.37 for euros (vs USD). But on my credit card statement, our purchases were converted at 1.29- 1.30.

You do need to have cash, we brought over enough to cover our needs, but others here have said that you get a better exchange rate if you can withdraw from a local ATM.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money

First, do not spend a cent on a metro map. Go to a large metro station and ask for a Grand Plan #2 which is the same map posted at bus stops and in metros. It is FREE.

A Mobilis day pass will cost you under 7€ and is good for bus and metro throughout zones 1 and 2 from midnight to midnight.

Plan your meals and drinks AWAY from tourist monuments. Go to a a grocer and buy a 6pack of water and carry a bottle with you. Enjoy it as you go or sitting on a park bench. Even a Perrier/menthe shouldn't cost over 5€ in a cafe/bar terrace.

We buy quarts of gaspacho, some ham and cheese at supermarkets, a baguette ate a boulanger. Total cost should be around 15€ and feeds 2 people for 2 lunches. You can buy a decent wine for 5€ a bottle.

With some thoughtful preplanning each day, you can manage your food costs. Entrance fees will be your big expenditures.

Metro Vancouver
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money

Many restaurants have fixed price meals with one dish or 2 or 3 that are very reasonable. Tax and tip are included in the posted price.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money

< Tax and tip are included in the posted price >

As the OP gives a location in Coatbridge, Scotland, this comment is irrelevant and meaningless.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spending money

< Tax and tip are included in the posted price >

As the OP gives a location in Coatbridge, Scotland, this comment is irrelevant and meaningless.

Why is it meaningless? It is quite usual to leave tips in the UK, even if this is not necessary in France... Or was this just below the belt humour?

Coatbridge, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: spending money

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spending money

Sandwiches and baked goods are better at bakeries, some offer a trio of sandwich/pastry/drink or similar and there are good specials at many crêperies too, if you'd like a sit-down meal for under or about 10euros.

More on the Mobilis day pass here:

www.transilien.com/static/tarifs/mobilis