We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the Apartment rep?

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tipping the Apartment rep?

When renting an apartment in Paris, do you tip the greeter who shows you the apartment?

If so....how much? I am assuming the greeter is not the owner but someone who works for the rental agency.

Thank you

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,721 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

We never have. It has never crossed our minds as we are paying a hefty agency fee every time we book through an agency and we assume they pay their staff.

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

There have been some huge disagreements on these forums about tipping in general but in this case I most certainly would not tip.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 00:31
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

I agree with Janet. And one step further, you are *never* expected to tip in Paris, for anything. Unlike in the US, tipping is not part of their culture. People are paid a living wage. The only service where you might give a few euros are a taxi driver if they handle your luggage for you, but even that isn't expected.

California
Level Contributor
6,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

No, I wouldn't tip the greeter. It's not expected at all.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,030 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

Honestly, since France has such a different tipping culture then America, I really think if you tried to tip them they would be a mixture of shocked, surprised and horrified..

We tip in Canada, but even for me it would not occur to tip an apartment greeter?? We rent Chalets in winter for skiing and its simply not done, since opening the place up and showing us how the heat works etc is part of their job..

Don't tip. It will make everyone feel weird.

Suggest you read up on tipping in Paris in general. Its not that they NEVER tip, its just vastly different then North America.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

These tipping questions just get better!

I agree with the others that you shouldn't tip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

Yes, as I hit the send button, Joan, I should have qualified that word...never. Do read up on tipping in France. In general, it's very different than what you're used to.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 01:34
Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

Thank You every one ! Didn't think that would be unanimous......I have my answer now.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

It's only unanimous because David from Dallas hasn't seen the thread yet.

10. Re: Tipping the Apartment rep?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 05:17