We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Well, this won't work....

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Topic
Well, this won't work....

Just created my itinerary draft for my week in Paris and it will work great if:

1. I start at dawn and finish about midnight,

2. There are no lines or no other tourists in Paris,

3. I can magically transport from one sight to the next instantaneously.

Obviously, I am going to have to make cuts and set different priorities; but it won’t be easy. I know…everyone says….save some for the next trip….but this is my one and only trip. I will be saving for a year for this trip and this will be my last international trip before I retire. So much to see, so little time. It is so hard to schedule time for museums….how do you know how much time to give yourself? I may be so enthralled by some painting or sculpture….I may not want to leave!! I will just have to ”best guess” myself. At least I am traveling solo, so I have no one else to take into consideration.

Now back to the drawing board….as they say….and go back through my two guide books of Paris again and see what I can eliminate. The TA travel forum also makes this hard, as postings describe so many wonderful places that I want to see as well!! And I also want to save some time to just wander around and delight in the city itself and smell the roses….and the crepes!!

Thanks for letting me voice my frustrations!!

Albany, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Well, this won't work....

Here is my Paris schedule. Please remember, this is just an outline of what is in each area. It does not mean that I HAVE to be there at any particular time. I am playing this totally by how the day goes. It is impossible to imagine how that day will unfold until I am actually there, so this is just a guideline. And if I get lost, I thought that was part of the fun of traveling?? (But I will take a map with me and I do know how to read one…and if all else fails, I can’t imagine a Parisian unwilling to help me get back on the right track!)

Also, please remember I am traveling solo so only my interests are catered to and I will be 61 years old for this trip next May. And of course, I will be purchasing a 6 day Museum Pass. I think I will get its value.

Day 1 Saturday Arrive Paris Gard du Nord about noon. Taxi to apartment located pretty much on the street dividing the 15th from the 7th…about a 10-15 minute walk from the Eiffel tower. This day is all about checking out the area I will be living in for the week and the Eiffel tower, including perhaps, the Tour Montparnasse.

Day 2 Sunday Musee Marmotan, Musee Marine, Musee Archetecture, Arc de Triomph, Champ Elysses, Flamme Liberty

Day 3 Monday Galeries Mineralogie, Galeries de Palentologie, Pantheon, Musee Cluny, St. Sulpice, St. Germain

Day 4 Tuesday Sacre Coeur, Musee de Montmarte (big maybe), Musee Des Arts Et Meiters, Musee Carnavalet

Day 5 Wednesday Eglise Eustace, La Concierge, St. Chappel, Notre Dame, Louvre (open late this day and should be less busy)

Day 6 Thursday Place de la Concorde, Musee Orangerie, Musee D’Orsay, Musee Rodin (I know these 3 big museums in one day is a lot, but I don’t need to see everything in each one.)

Day 7 Friday Versaille and back to the Louvre if necessary

Day 8 Saturday Flight home

I have been told I really should add the Palais Garnier, but I don’t know where I can squeeze it in.

Let me know where I have gone wrong!! :) Thanks!!

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Well, this won't work....

That seems like quite a lot. The advice I get the most, and I tend to agree with, is that you have to let Paris come to you. It's great to see the major attractions, but from my limited experience, and that of many people on these forums, the best way to experience Paris is to live like a Parisian. Sit in the cafés, roam through the market streets, stroll, etc. Basically, just let yourself absorb the city and be absorbed by it. If I were you, I'd cut about half of the sights off your list.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Well, this won't work....

On Wednesday, are you planning on going to the top of Notre dame (a climb of 300+ steps)? Or just inside the cathedral? If you plan on going to the top, then put that 1st on your list and try to get there before it opens, 20-30 minutes early and you'll be one of the 1st to go up. If not, put St. Chapelle at the top, even with the museum pass you still have to go through security and the line can be long. Actually the line to visit the cathedral gets pretty long too, look at the opening hours, if that is open before St. Chappelle go to the cathedral first.

The great thing about the museum pass is that you can visit each place for as little or as much time as you want and not feel like you are not getting your money's worth. While your schedule looks busy, I'm pretty sure my niece and I visited even more places than you've listed, some of them only for 15-20 minutes. If you have any interest at all in seeing where Napoleon is buried, on the day you visit the Rodin, Invalides is right next door and is also included on the Pass.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Paris, Denver
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Well, this won't work....

*** Day 1 Saturday Arrive Paris Gard du Nord about noon. Taxi to apartment located pretty much on the street dividing the 15th from the 7th…about a 10-15 minute walk from the Eiffel tower. This day is all about checking out the area I will be living in for the week and the Eiffel tower, including perhaps, the Tour Montparnasse.

- What about moving the Musee Rodin to this day? It's close to your neighborhood, and the garden is really pretty so it won't be a heavy museum visit for the first day....Tour Montparnasse, personally, I wouldn't bother seeing it :-/

*** Day 3 Monday Galeries Mineralogie, Galeries de Palentologie, Pantheon, Musee Cluny, St. Sulpice, St. Germain

- What about a rest stop at Jardin du Luxembourg? They are lovely. I would probably do Cluny/Pantheon first, then stop by Lux Gardens, visit the two Galeries, and then see St. Sulpice & St. Germain on the return way (and have dinner/walk around the neighborhood that evening)

*** Day 4 Tuesday Sacre Coeur, Musee de Montmarte (big maybe), Musee Des Arts Et Meiters, Musee Carnavalet

- I would do the museums in the 4th first, then go to Montmartre - Sacre Coeur is nice in the evening. Make sure you walk around Montmartre, it's a beautiful neighborhood - and a nice area to have dinner (maybe around Abbesses area?)

*** Day 5 Wednesday Eglise Eustace, La Concierge, St. Chappel, Notre Dame, Louvre (open late this day and should be less busy)

- I would start with Ste. Chapelle/Notre Dame, because they can get crowded later in the day, then pop into Conciergerie, and next go to St. Eustache - and have lunch somewhere nearby (rue Montorgueil?) before going to the Louvre.

*** Day 6 Thursday Place de la Concorde, Musee Orangerie, Musee D’Orsay, Musee Rodin (I know these 3 big museums in one day is a lot, but I don’t need to see everything in each one.)

- It's not too bad!!! I would start with Orsay in the morning, then go visit Rodin (unless you see it on your first day), and rest a bit at Tuileries before seeing the Orangerie.

<<the best way to experience Paris is to live like a Parisian. Sit in the cafés, roam through the market streets, stroll, etc. >>Sorry, this is not how Parisians live. They follow the "metro boulot dodo" model (and Parisians do not stroll. They speed walk). While cafes and markets are nice, Paris has amazing history, architecture and museums. There are plenty of other cities (even in the US) with great cafes, but there is only one Louvre, Orsay, Eiffel Tower, etc in the world.

Vernijean, your plan IS busy, but not too unrealistic, assuming you are physically fit. The next step is to prioritize the top site for each day and make sure you plan the day around that site's opening hours/crowds (ex: Orsay - best in the morning. Like you have done with the Louvre - going on an evening is a great idea!)

25. Re: Well, this won't work....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:16