We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Hey all! My first post on TripAdvisor & our first trip to Paris!! Hubby and I will be spending 10 days in Paris this August. For the first 5 days we would like to stay in the Latin Quarter and we are open to suggestions on where we can go after that for the remaining portion of our trip. Hopefully something that is the opposite of the vibes in Latin Quarter.

A little something about us:

-We are celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary

-we plan on taking day trips outside of Paris (Versailles, Rims etc)

-I am a vegetarian and both hubby and I are foodies

-Both love live music & late night fun

Thanks a bunch all!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Hi. My husband and I did the same thing on our first trip to Paris. A lot of people will advise against it but I think it is a great idea.

We split between the left and right bank but stayed 2 nights in burgundy in between. We stayed in the 8th by park monceau and then the 6th st Germain. My favorite.

Where in the Latin quarter are you staying?

You can try montemarte which is generally a bit far out for first timers. Or the Marais. Are you looking for glitzy big boulevards like champs? Staying near the champs d élysées -I don't normally recommend but it is the opposite of the Latin quarter. The 16 is pretty and more residential.

The 6th is my favorite but depending on where in the Latin qtr you are it may be too close.

So--montemarte or marais. Have fun!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Reims + vegetarian + foodies + live music + night fun = north eastern Paris, i.e. Bastille + Canal St Martin areas.

Tons of choice for restaurants bars and music, and gare de l'est railways station to Reims is very close to Canal St Martin.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

I just came across this hotel the other day, I would stay there in a heartbeat! It is ground central for a whole slew of hot new restaurants that we frequent.

Just read the "to eat" list on the left side of the website. http://lecitizenhotel.com/en/

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Hey everyone, thank you for your help/suggestions!

Here is what we are doing:

For the first 5 days we are staying at Grand Hotel des Gobelins in the Latin Qtr.

After that we are heading to Nice for 3 nights and coming back to stay on the other side of the river at Hotel du Triangle d'Or for the last 3 days of our trip. I can't wait to give a report after we come back!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Sounds good. You are splitting in a smart way and staying in two very different areas. Please post back. I'd love to see your impressions.

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

@doby47 We sure will!

dallas
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

hmmmm that is the opera? while the W just opened I don't think is what you want??

I really would recommend you look at the marais or bastille - look up places like pamela popa or square trousseau at marche d'alegre (sorry too tired to check spelling but let me know if you don't find) - I really think your wandering in the marais would let you find much more cool young hip places - also check out the wine bar le baron rounge - that type of stuff will not be found in the opera I don't think - hausman has always never impressed me................

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d7…

good luck and have a blast!!

edit: sorry for the late to the dance post but you could check via expedia or booking.com or others to see if there are still any decent deals...............while august is high tourist season the locals empty and there is no business going on so again a non touristy locale (well kinda) like the marais may still have some decent options................

Edited: 05 July 2013, 02:11
los angeles
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

Just be aware that at Gobelins, you are in the 13th arr, not the Latin Qtr. You are too far south to be considered the Latin Qtr. Not saying that is bad, just wanting you to have a realistic perspective. As far as Triangle d'Or, I'd suggest farther north in the 9th--check out the Hotel France Albion near rue des Martyrs (if you want to be in the 9th). I also like the suggestions of Bastille and Canal St Martin. But check the addresses that you've booked and know where you really are.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

My 3rd trip to Paris was for 2 weeks so I split it between the 12th and the 9th. I think you'll really enjoy your choices. I am hoping to go next time for a month and intend to stay a week each in 4 different arrondissements.

Do report back.

10. Re: Split up hotel stay in Paris- suggestions on neighborhoods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:16