We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

K L
14 posts
Save Topic
Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

All-

My husband and I are traveling to Paris next month for 11 days (Mid July). In starting to review our packing lists, we have realized that we are not quite sure what we should wear while over there visiting.

We are looking for advice for daytime wear, while being tourist, visiting cafes, walking around city, etc., as well as, what to wear on Riverboat Cruise, dinners at night. We are also visiting the countryside for a few days.

Main questions are for a woman (who will be 26 weeks pregnant) are there any fashion items I should be aware of what NOT to wear and what TO wear. ( flip flops, sandals, tennis shoe, shorts vs skirts and long or short, bold colors, soft colors, etc).

For my husband- Tennis shoes (white or dark color), shorts vs pants, shirts etc.

Hoping you can let me know what the 'fashion' is over there as this will be our first time.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

Wear whatever you are comfortable wearing. Same as if you were at home. If out and about jeans or shorts and a t-shirt, if going to dinner jeans or slacks and a polo or button up.

No one will stop you and give you a ticket or laugh at you for wearing whatever you want.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

Honestly there are very few "don't wears".. a bathsuit in the city, that's a no unless at beach(Paris Plage, fake beach set up along the Siene) , but there is one huge DO wear ,, and fashionista or not, its important.

Good comfortable shoes are a MUST!

You will walk more then you do at home, you will do more stairs and you will be standing more,, all are hard on feet, but even more so for you being pregnant when feet can swell at end of a long day and you are carrying a bit more weight.

Personally flip flops are a no , not because of looks , but because they are just not supportive for walking miles a day, and your feet will get mega dirty( many parks etc have loose gravel pathways, including Tuilleries and Luxembourg Gardens).

I also always bring two pairs at least to switch on and off, usually one a walking shoe( and there are cute ones out there, not ug o lee ones,, lol ) and I like to bring sandals for the heat, plus they can often double as good for dresses and skirts, there again I do mean good sandals, not the ones that have no support and are just a thin layer of sole on bottom.. I like Naots, but there are many good brands out there, find the ones that suit you, and find them soon as you must break them in at home.

I also tend to pack one pair of nicer shoes solely for dinner out , but many find they can get away with wearing their sandals.. depends on if you have a fancy dinner planned. Some who wear heels out smartly pack a pair of flats in their purse to switch into if need be ( a walk along the river after dinner is nice, but perhaps not in heels!)

I also tend to wear darker bottoms( skirts capris pants or whatever) because you are sitting on some grubby stuff, bus or metro seats, park benches etc.. so whites are impractical( though they look nice). I try to pack light so I try and mix and match as much as I can using one base color ( for me that's black, not because its Paris either, I have always liked black) and one or two accent colors.

Bring a light wind / rain jacket or sweater just in case.. its usually nice and warm , but I have been cold on a summer visit in August so never count on not having a coverup.

Enjoy your visit, remember not to eat unpasteurized cheeses.. have fun and don't stress about clothes..

And finally remember, most hotels don't have bellmen ( unless staying in very nice place) so you will have to carry your own luggage, try and keep it light( or poor hubby will be exhausted, lol )

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

The reality is that nobody will care what you wear, so there is no point in wasting time worrying about it. You're a complete stranger walking down the street with thousands of other strangers. They will not even notice your presence.

K L
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

Thanks for the replies. Funny that my friends here in US, keep telling me 'don't wear shorts' and don't wear this or that.

thanks again!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

KL you can wear shorts but ,, do you know how the younger ladies wear them in Paris.. with leggings or pantyhose under them,, they look so hot in the summer.. Older local ladies would be most unlikely to wear shorts,, but I have a feeling since you are expecting that you are not over 50, lol

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

Unless your friends in the U.S. just moved there from Paris, what they are telling you doesn't matter, since they aren't in a position to know.

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

You can wear shorts, but it might be way too cold for shorts! The average high temp is 75 and I would be way too cold for shorts at that temp.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,174 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

TRACIE .. ha ha.. people wear shorts year round here almost,, once its over 60 its shorts weather , and I consider 75 a nice warm summer day... guess its hotter in Saratoga Springs.lol

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

yeah, our average high is more like 86 :-)

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,240 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris Fashion advice for a pregnant woman and her husband

Bonjour, K L,

This is not fashion advice. You may prefer to take a bus, rather than the metro. In the following link, click Bus under Mode.

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

MrsJAS