We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arr. 12th - good and safe?

las vegas
Level Contributor
57 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Arr. 12th - good and safe?

I found a small, but very nice hotel (seems on the site, and according to some posts here). It is on avenue Daumesnil.

Is this area safe in the evening?

Thank you.

Paris
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Arr. 12th - good and safe?

I feel safe walking alone in that neighborhood at night and I am female.

las vegas
Level Contributor
57 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arr. 12th - good and safe?

Thank you for a quick reply :-) I am female too, 33 yrs.

Bea
Sarasota, Fl
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Arr. 12th - good and safe?

Hi Cosmo,

Know avenue Daumesnil very well and yes it is safe and a very comfortable Parisian neighborhood. Often see women walking along the street alone in the evening. Are you staying at Porte Doree hotel? If so a few people I know have really enjoyed it there, found it to be friendly and very nice.

There are many restaurants, local stores, cafes, bistros, almost anything you might want along Daumesnil, including some modest prices good French restaurants. There is a street market twice a week on the street by Felix Eboue.

Take the 29 bus from place Felix Eboue (the lion fountain) to the Bastille for some lively night life. You will also be close to the Marias area with all the "in" places there. The 29 stops running about 10 on week nights and earlier on sundays, but you can get the metro a bit later. You can also take the 29 bus (toward gare St. Lazare) through the Marias and its wonderful old narrow streets past Opera Garnier to the big shopping stores, Galleries Lafayette, Printemps and others. On its return run, the 29 goes right along side the Place des Voeges, the wonderful 17th century square...great place to walk around and enjoy....many art galleries, restaurants, plus some of the oldest mansions of Paris.

If you want to have a break from the city, you are very close to the lake in Bois de Vincennes........just lovely on a nice day....rent row boats, bikes or just sit and relax. If you like to walk you might try going up on the Promenade Plantee...a long, mostly raised, garden walkway formerly a railroad line which runs through that area and along avenue Daumesnil toward the west almost to the Bastille Opera. Parts of it have unique artsy shops under it.

You will have several convenient buses you can take to connect to almost any area of the city, or the metro lines either at Metro Daumesnil or Metro Porte Doree are handy.

I am sure you will love the area and it is very French...........not a great many tourists, although some. If you want the name of a couple of what I think are great restaurants and reasonably priced just ask.

Bea

las vegas
Level Contributor
57 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arr. 12th - good and safe?

Hi Bea,

That was so nice of you to take time and reply with so many ideas and great details.

Yes, I will be staying at Porte Doree. I searched these forums for days, until everything was blurry, but in the end - seems it will be worth it. :-) I'm so looking forward to it.

And - Yes, it would be great if you can give me some names, where to eat in the Daumesnil neighborhood...decent little reastaurants. Or anything else that you think would be useful to someone who is in Paris forthe 1st time.

I will have a transit pass and stay for 7 days, so hopefully, will be able to see a lot.

Thanks again.

Cosmo

Irish in Paris
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arr. 12th - good and safe?

Decent little places in the Daumesnil neighborhood that don't cost the world :

Au Pays de Vannes.

34bis, rue de Wattignies

Metro : Michel Bizot

Only open for lunch - traditional French food with a 3-course menu for ���13

Le P���tit Bouchon

1, rue Capri

Metro : Miche Bizot

Wonderful in expensive Portuguese food

Evansville, IN
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Arr. 12th - good and safe?

I will also be staying at the Port Doree.....from Feb. 26th - March 12th. I've heard great things about it and have already had great communication with the hotel staff.