We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Hi - we are planning a trip to Paris next spring. We have not travelled overseas before, and both my husband and I are a bit nervous about the overwhelming number of things to do, line ups to attractions, hotels, etc. We will be travelling with our 10 year old daughter and 6 year old son. I am thinking of using Trufflepig. Any reviews?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Sheri you can do it on your own and likely have a much better experience, especially since you are travelling with children.. !! I have taken my kids ( a bit older then yours , at 11 and 13) but I have also been as a 7 yr old myself!

I am frankly shocked at the fees they charge for their service, seriously 1200 dollars to PLAN a one week trip( 1800 for a two week trip!) , and that is before you even find out you are likely paying more for your hotel and train tickets etc then if you had booked directly!!

If you are wealthy go for it, but for me that extra 1200 dollars a week is about what I have paid for a apartment or hotel for a week..

You have tons of time to plan a GREAT trip yourself,, no one else here started with much expertise, but just take it one step at a time. You can get great suggestions for KID friendly activites right on this board, by other parents,, and you can tailor all the sites you see to what will interest you. Yes, I can see that Trufflepig would ask you all the questions and come up with answers for you, but if they are planning it you really don't know what the different choices are ..

Anyways, I would never use them just because they want everything PREPAID too,, I never do that, just airline tickets and some train tickets .. but hotels , no way..

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,473 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Wow! As Joan says, $1200 is a good apartment in Paris for a week. This sounds like a typical consulting company - You tell me what you want, they'll write down what you tell me and charge you a consulting fee. Why don't you tell us the types of things you like, where you think you might like to go, how long you have and see what transpires. Nobody here will charge a fee and it will be based on real experience. Also, because we don't get paid a commission on top of the up front fee, your daily costs are likely to be much less. I cannot imagine paying more than $200 per day per person for a couple, and less per head when you include children.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Holy moly, just spent more time on their site,, they say average per day costs per person, not including international flights or meals is 250-800 dollars a day per person.. wowsa.. you you want to spend 1000 dollars a day!! You are so out of my league that I guess I should even make any suggestions.. AND worst of all they DO NOT provide price breakdowns,, you have no idea what value you are really getting, its basically a ridiculus set up to me personally.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,705 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

joan, there is no reason to insult the OP here. I understand that many of us on the forum tend to be frugal travelers and we enjoy the planning process. But, this may be news to you, not everyone travels that way. For some it's worth the extra money to have someone else do the legwork for them.

back to the original question. This is the first time I have heard about truffllepig. I agree with the others that their pricing seems to be on the high side, especially if all you are wanting to do is visit Paris. Visiting Paris isn't all that complicated and you should be able to plan a trip on your own, using a guidebook or two, and with help from the Paris forum.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,773 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Francegril I am not insulting OP I am merely saying if she has read and accepted those fees she truly is out of my league and I can't make a sensible suggestion other then to make sure she is aware of those fees and conditions( paying up front, and not getting a price breakdown and huge upfront fee for service) and yes, I personally could or would not consider using them. I don't think she ( op) is ridiculus but I do think the company is though.. wonder how they are surviving, and how new they are ..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

This is the first I've heard of Trufflepig. It does seem very pricey compared to what you can do on your own (which of course is always the case with travel planning companies because they have to make money).

I can understand wanting some help to plan your first overseas trip but if you are just going to Paris, I would encourage you to do some research on your own about planning (this forum is a great start!) before you make a decision on using a company like this. You may very well be surprised how easy it is to find accommodations and make other plans. All of the guide book companies have sample itineraries and many have comprehensive web sites listing various attractions, info on neighborhoods, etc. Check out frommers.com & fodors.com for a start.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

"Nobody here will charge a fee "

You speak for yourself, mate! :)

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Thanks everyone! I don't feel insulted at all - no worries.

Your comments have really helped me put this into perspective and I think we will be fine planning this trip on our own and using the France forum as a resource.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Sheri, so many people here have all sorts of experience with independent travel to Paris. It, along with other online resources, make it pretty easy to plan your own trip. We won't steer you wrong!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,705 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used Trufflepig to plan their Paris trip

Sheri, You'll definitely find more experience here than on trufflepig. And you'll save a ton of money too!!