We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E.Leclerk hire car

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
E.Leclerk hire car

We wish to hire a car in Paris or Bordeaux and have been told that the E.Leclerk supermarkets have cars for hire at reasonable rates, can anyone tell us whether that is so and where the supermarkets that hire these cars are in Paris or Bordeaux, also if they can be booked over the internet?

Regards John and Sally

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
6,295 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

I think it would probably be more hassle than anything else. I doubt if you would be able to rent at one Leclerc store & return it to another. The other problem is that most stores are out of town and can be tricky to get to without a car anyway. I would check www.autoeurope.com or www.locationdevoiture.fr to find a good deal. Beware of free kilométrage restrictions in France which are often limited to 250 per day.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 06:25
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

Two reputable Australian companies that arrange cheap rentals with the major companies are www.autoeurope.com.au and www.driveaway.com.au

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

Hi,

I used autoeurope.com on several occasions before. There is two important things you should known about autoeurope.com :

1) Choose United states as a country of residence in the top bar even if you are currently in France. You will save hundreds and hundreds of euros. (Not really fare when you are French)

2) If you choose a train station or airport as a pick up location the rental company will charge you €60 extra.

Hope it helps

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

The problem you might experience with big box (Auchan, Carrefour, Géant, etc) auto rentals is that the locations are not usually convenient and while the rates may appear interesting, they usually have a heavy mileage (kilométrage) charge. tourists often drive a good amount and mileage charges can add up fast. Another disadvantage is that all contracts will most likely be all in French and the rental staff may not speak any English.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 11:31
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,193 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

Give Australia as your country of residence, especially if using one of the Australian web sites. It is likely to cost less than saying you are from the USA.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,992 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

<<Give Australia as your country of residence, especially if using one of the Australian web sites. It is likely to cost less than saying you are from the USA.>>

Try them both and you'll know for sure.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

I booked on Avis.fr from the US, as I preferred to have the rental insurance - the French site incl insurance for less than the US site would have charged for just the car. It's good to test several different ways.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

Travelnutty,

I have a question about Avis.fr. They have a location close to the port at Le Havre, and when I go to reserve on the US Avis site their is no location. On Avis.fr the price is half the cost as what the regular Avis site. Did you have any issues with Avis.fr as opposed to the regular Avis site? Why would Avis.fr have other locations? Don't know if you know but I noticed you rented through Avis.fr. My email is therobe71@yahoo.com.

Robert

9. Re: E.Leclerk hire car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2014, 06:20