We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

opinion on schedule

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york city
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
opinion on schedule

My mother and I will be traveling to Paris in July. We will be arriving from NY on Tuesday and leaving on Saturday morning. We would like to see the "must see" places, but are not overly interested in all of the museums. She is in her early 60s and not used to a TERRIBLE amount of walking per day. We will be staying at a hotel very close to the Eiffel Tower.

Here is what I was thinking- let me know if it's plausible or if I'm missing any "must dos" Thanks in advance! :)

Tuesday- check in to hotel; rest; Notre Dame; Jardin du Luxembourg; Montparnasse

Wednesday- Sacred Heart Basilica; Opera National; Galeries Lafayette; How to Become a Parisian SHOW

Thursday- Louvre; Angelina’s Café; Arc de Triomphe (sunset); Eiffel Tower; Pont Alexandre

Friday- Le Marais; bus & boat tour of the Seine

Also, feel free to recommend any good cafes/restaurants :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: opinion on schedule

Sounds like you've got it covered! Be sure to grab a crepe in the Latin Quarter on your way to the Jardin from Notre Dame, everyone is carrying them around and they're delicious (any street stand will do). Laduree on the Champs Elysees has the best macaroons in the city, not far from the Arc de Triomphe. Thursday seems like a busy day - the Louvre is huge and exhausting but incredible. If you want to get it all in be sure to rest those feet!

Have a great time!

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: opinion on schedule

As for the Louvre, let me ask: are you fans of the Metropolitan in NYC? I ask for several reasons. First, it's quite a commitment, and it can be tiring just being on your feet for so long. Also, it takes up a lot of time in your short stay, and if you are not "overly interested," then it may not be a "must see" for you. Third, you have a huge world class art museum in your own city, so you already "get" the idea. (I am not comparing museums. It can't be done. I'm just suggesting to use you love--or not--for the Met as a point of reference.)

The rest of your itinerary looks really nice. I assume you are staying near Notre Dame or the Lux Gardens, and that's why you have chosen this itinerary for day 1? Since you are "only" coming from NYC (and not LA!), you may find that you have the energy for a Seine cruise on the evening of Day 1. Otherwise, you can choose a nice cafe to hang out in, either in Montparnasse or the 6th (near Lux).

See if you can get advanced tix online for ascending the Eiffel Tower. They may already be sold out for July. If you don't "need" to ascend the Tower, you can just admire the view from the area as you walk toward it on the Champ de Mars and/or across the river at Trocadero. Since you will be in Montparnasse the day before, you may want to go to the top of the Tour Montparnasse instead--less crowds and great view of the eiffel Tower.

If you end up having more time on Friday, check out more of the Latin Quarter, like Place du Contrescarpe and rue Mouffetard.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: opinion on schedule

If you can do the boat tour day 1 you should so you can get acclimated.

I find monteparnasse and the area right near It very depressing.

If your mom has a hard time walking you can take the metro which is convenient.

I've been to the Louvre several times just for a couple if hours. It does not have to be a huge commitment.

new york city
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: opinion on schedule

Well.. I picked our "must see" spots then organized them on google maps to see how to seperate them by day.. the order of the days is based on two "skip the line" tours we are taking- one at the louvre and one is a bus/boat/up to the eiffel tower tour. We are staying in close proximity to the Eiffel tower

los angeles
Level Contributor
8,955 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: opinion on schedule

The Louvre is open on Friday night until 9:45. You could make use of the evening hours and even take a Seine cruise afterwards.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,895 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: opinion on schedule

If mom isn't used to a "terrible" amount of walking, Notre Dame to Luxembourg Gardens to Montparnasse is a long walk (what with all the stopping and starting (for sure going around Notre Dame and not just into it), the Garden is not a linear space, but even just walking through it on to Montparnasse is a goodly walk. We took the bus to Port Royal, wandered around Montparnasse below Luxembourg Garden and then back to apartment (not quite to Notre Dame) and I thought that was enough walking for a bit. It's probably only 2.0-2.5 miles, but it's city miles - so depending on her ability to handle uneven surfaces, etc., it may seem like more.

Strongly suggest getting familiar with the bus routes (very easy to use, although seems hopelessly complex when you're looking at a map, in fact the bus stops themselves are easy to understand and save a lot of steps (and you still get to see so much of the architecture).

For Montmartre, you might want to start a thread about best transportation options from where you are staying and then back to Opera. There's a metro that goes to the north side of Montmartre (can't remember its name) and saves some hill walking - but there's also the Montmatrobus (I may not have that spelled properly). I wrote down notes on how to get up there easily (if Mom wants to do the hills and steps that's fine, but you might want alternatives - and the metro can be grueling).

Florida
Level Contributor
17,082 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: opinion on schedule

Tuesday "Montparnasse" is rather broad, anything specific there or do you need ideas?

Thursday "Arc at sunset" might be the last stop as the sun doesn't set until 9:30-9:45pm in July... check a website like 'www.sunrisesunset.com' for Paris / July.

8. Re: opinion on schedule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 07:18