We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry to be the pesky one...!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry to be the pesky one...!

My fiance and I are coming to Paris in August and we are trying to find a hotel. I think I went overboard looking at hotels and now I am confused.

Basically we are the type of people who just want to wander around and see as much as possible (but at the same time we are on no time schedule). Its normal for us to be out of the room from 8am until 10 or 11 pm just walking around. Can someone tell tell what they think is the best area for a hotel? From what I read 4, 5, and 6, although some say 6 is too touristy? Also we are going to attempt to take the RER from CDG if that makes a difference.

Again sorry to ask the question that I'm sure has been repeated over and over. For the record I did read through the forum but sometimes too much info can be a bad thing too!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

I am anxiously waiting for a question that has never been asked, it could happen but it's unlikely. However, the 4th 5th or 6th arrondissements are excellent choices. I would recommend any of them.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

Hahah this is true. I just dont like being the annoying one. I know from going to Rome last year how repetitive the "where should I stay" question gets.

Thanks for the advice. Originally I was looking in 7 but then I realized it wasnt near anything else. Not sure why I didnt come to TA first

Brussels Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

Amanda - just to throw a wrench into the works...have you considered renting an apartment? SO much less expensive and usually more space than your average Parisian hotel. There are great websites for holiday apartments and I've always had wonderful experiences with them. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post websites here, but def. drop me a note if you're interested - je_peche @live.com Happy to help!

That said, 9th arr is good for small hotels that won't cost a fortune. We just got back from a weekend stay at Best Western Hotel le carre folies opera - great little place, VERY clean, convenient to metro, good cafes.

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

Nothing in the 7th except the Eiffel Tower, the Rue Cler area, the Army Museum & Napoleon's Tomb and the Musee d'Orsay. If you leave your room at 8AM and return at 10/11 PM There is no reason you can't stay in the 7th.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

My husband and I are staying at the Hotel Marais Bastille in July, which, while technically in 11th, is very near to 3rd/4th district. We chose it b/c of good TA reviews, Queen-size beds + A/C, and the 107 Euro per night rate (weekday). I can't advise on the whole city, as this is our first visit, but I really wanted to stay in the Marais area and this hotel seemed to pretty much accomplish that it a really good rate. From what I've read, the 11th is also much less touristy than some of the other areas.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 15:15
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,121 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

We have been staying at the Millesime for the past several years: http://www.millesimehotel.com/

It's in the 6th between the rue de Seine and the rue Bonaparte, about 4 blocks from the river and one block from the Blvd St Germain and the St Germain des Pres Metro stop. We can walk to almost everything we like to visit except for using the Metro to go to Montmartre or the train to Giverny. And there are enough restaurants within a short walking distance that we could eat in the area every night if we wanted. This, for example, is in the next block over on the rue Jacob tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d1…

In addition to the location they offer a tete-a-tete package which varies by time of year and length of stay, but includes a pick-up at the airport in a private car. Can you say convenient? Check their web page for your dates.

We are booked there for Christmas this year.

Pjk

Edited: 26 June 2013, 15:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

You should probably state your nightly budget. There isn't much sense in recommending hotels that are out of your budget.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

Thank you for all your help. I did consider an apartment and if we were going longer I would probably look into it.

I know I said 4, 5 and 6, however I found a great place (IMO) in 15 called Vice Versa. Not only did I find it for a great price, I found a code for an extra 13% off. Thoughts on this one?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d331760…

PS..sorry I didnt include a budget. Im ok finding hotels on my own it was more narrowing it down to areas. I was looking to keep it under $125/£100 a night. I think I managed to find Vice Versa for £71 everything inc

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

They use Euros on France.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorry to be the pesky one...!

I realize they use Euros. I posted the $ because most on here are from America. The £ is because my fiance is booking it and hes from the UK