We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Redhill, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Eating out

We are off to Paris on Monday for 2 nights staying in Montparnasse.

Can anyone recommend any places to eat breakfast and dinner around that area? We will have lunch wherever we happen to be atthe time but wouldlike some recommendations of restaurants in the area as we dont want to trapse around and end up somewhere awful and miss out on sometng nice!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out

La Cerisaie is a very good little restaurant on rue Edgar Quinet. Very good value for the money, sweet mom and pop operation It is tiny and popular, so you do need to book. They are open on Mondays and start dinner service at 7pm. http://www.restaurantlacerisaie.com/

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out

Montparnasse has so many restaurants, cafés and brasseries that you will probably laugh at yourselves for having asked the question once you see the area. I really do not believe that specific recommendations are required.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out

I second both La cerisaie (needs a reservation as stated above) and the fact there's "que l'embarras du choix" in that neighborhood (as in many others ;)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out

It's pretty easy to tell which restaurants are popular with locals (who eat lunch closer to 1 pm and dinner closer to 8 pm and don't eat much more than a croissant - if that - for breakfast). If you're big into breakfast and a croissant isn't enough for you, find a place close to the hotel that sells omelettes and you'll be good to go.

With such a short trip, finding places close to the hotel to start your day will be important. Relying on places that require reservations really ties you down to eating at a particular time and place - and there are just too many restaurants everywhere for that to make a lot of sense (unless you like to turn in early).

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out

CG where is your hotel?

I understand it's always nice to get some specific ideas.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out

There are so many unhelpful responses here today !

If a poster asks for restaurant recommendations saying "there's a lot there" is not helpful.

Op for dinner try Josephine chez Dumonet. Old school French and excellent food.

You are also near creperie row! The best savory galletes or dessert crepes are Josselin and le petit Josselin. I think on rue Monteparnasse. I think they are mainly lunch not sure re dinner.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out

"There's a lot" implies that that there is no incorrect choice. Instinct has guided people for the last 10,000 or more years. Have people in the 21st century lost all ability to find the proper place through observation? Must they be sent by total strangers to a place they have never heard of?

If so, bon appétit!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out

There are scores of restaurants in the Montparnasse area. Many share a price range but vary greatly in quality. It's kind of nice to have a few recs for places that are not tourist traps or just riding on their proximity to the station or on a long outlived reputation. Money's tight and I like to dole mine out with a degree of thoughtful pre-planning.

Many people hate this kind of "regimentation", but eating well is one of our greatest pleasures in France and we don't begrudge having a schedule. (Some people are willing to tie their days to tickets for the Eiffel Tour or for a guided tour that leaves at a certain time. We tie ourselves to our dinner pails.)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out

I have never had breakfast at the Saint Malo on the corner of rue du Départ and rue d'Odessa, but I have had lunch there, and it was quite good. Would I recommend it? Not particularly, because I ate there at random and perhaps every other place is even better. Why do people not want to take responsability for their choices?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out

Ker, you speak truth as usual. But wandering up and down the street and around the block and more at 9pm looking for dinner when your spouse is growling about hunger pangs is not a fun way to spend a vacation. Looking at menus and watching what people are eating takes time. No, not a lot, but when you repeatedly discard options as you walk down the street, it may well take 45 minutes to an hour to find a place you like. Or YMMV.

Time is what we are talking about.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 21:58