We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris analyzed by metro station

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Paris analyzed by metro station

DataParis has taken all sorts of data regarding the city of Paris and created a tool that allows you to display it according to the nearest metro station -- revenue, politics, real estate prices, population density, education, etc. It even shows the number of people who use each and every metro station. Rolling your mouse over any dot gives you the specific details.

It's an interesting way to while away the time and learn a few things about the city: http://dataparis.io/#

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

Had seen it a week ago, interesting indeed.

One should however mention that a number of these data are in fact based by arrondissements so there are some strong border effects (two neighbouring stations may have a much smoother transition than is represented here, at the aggregated arrondissement level; thinking of the 14th or 18th for example)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

If these are based on the average data of the neighbouring arrondissements, it's really not that precise, and does not actually reflect the immediate area around a given metro station.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

Who ever said it was precise? But I find the results extremely accurate in general -- for example voting patterns, age differences or revenue.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

Fascinating. Thank you! (well, except I'll never get back the hour I wasted looking at that.)

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

Saved it! I love maps of all kinds, especially those showing social and economic data.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

Thanks for this. It's fascinating, although I need another time-sink like the proverbial 3rd leg.

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

Very interesting.

You may wish to compare datas with another Big Brother?

wearedata.watchdogs.com/start.php…

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

As a person who researches for a living, I can tell you that *nothing* is every precise (not even that biopsy from the lab that your doctor just ran). It's all based on algorithms and judgment.

The site is very interesting. This time in Paris, we actually went to a social event that involved 5 actual Parisians, a few Americans and a quite a few Canadians. It was my first time for actual social interaction, in French, with that many Parisians outside of a transaction in a restaurant or store. Real estate was one of the topics of conversation and I was happy I had spent so much time reading threads here and patiently looking at maps.google.com and the ratp.fr site so that when someone said "Near Le Peletier" I wasn't completely confused (and I was impressed with some of the other guests, who were good with their street names and pretty good with knowing general facts about arrondissements).

This map that K2 helpfully linked to helps to explain the apartment prices (and investments as well). We can't afford to invest, but we still "window shop" in the Parisian real estate market. Map is a keeper.

There really is some kind of "line" that one crosses going from 6th to 7th (or into the 16th) and the upscale quality of the businesses in the areas where the bigger red dots are...well, that's noticeable. I'm surprised to see such a big red dot Neuilly-sur-Seine, but when I put my thinking cap on, i shouldn't be.

Our trek through the 16th on a Sunday, this trip, was quite interesting and eye-opening. Lovely place. Not crowded or busy. Quiet would describe the walk we took.

9. Re: Paris analyzed by metro station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18