We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tide Laundry Pods?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Tide Laundry Pods?

Is it okay to use the Tide HE laundry detergent pods in European washer/dryer units in apartments? If so, I figure I can just throw a few in a baggie my suitcase rather than have to deal with finding detergent in Paris.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

Persil brand sold in NOrth America isn't made there and sold basically for the Miele. Not quite in the same league as Tide.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

Not at all the same price!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persil

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

Never said they were the same, "not quite the same league..." In fact some ten times more. Cost of a specialized European imports. But it is what recommended for Miele etc.

64. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 December 2015, 23:20
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

I think it is Castile soap = olive oil soap.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

I used to give English lessons to a P&G employee, back when Tide still existed in France, too, even though Ariel was the #1 brand. Tide was the cheapest detergent available and Ariel was the top of the line. He told me that it was exactly the same soap in both boxes. He said that the only difference with any of the P&G brands were the little colored specks that were added to some of them to make you think there was some sort of super ingredient. He also told me that he shouldn't be telling me any of that.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 22:58
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,320 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

k2 -- that sounds about right. my husband and I were laying in cleaning supplies today -- we mostly shop on foot in Chicago -- so occasionally we head to target with the car for stock ups. we were laughing that the dishwasher packets we now have, have powder but one colored gel -- should we upgrade to the packets with two colored gels or three? and would we ever know the difference? we did step up to the two gel plus powder packets -- maybe next time we go 'platinum' and get all three gel colors. I am sure all this stuff functions the same.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

On the fashion threads, there is a lot of worry over standing out as a tourist. Nothing makes you look more like a tourist than standing in a laundromat in front of a washer that is erupting like Vesuvius. Trust me, I know, having done it in London. Buy on site and pass for a local. ;)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

Hubby did the laundry and the apartment manager said use half what was recommended of the French soap stocked. Hubby said it was still too soap.

Castile soap is laurel or olive based and the kind we buy is biodegradable and safe for camping, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castile_soap

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,321 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Tide Laundry Pods?

I bought Persil because (a) it was cheap and (b) I knew the brand. It was the powder variety and I used about 1 tablespoon. It even got out some spag bol sauce which had been on my dressing gown for a week. In Amsterdam, they only had liquid washing machine detergents in my little supermarket and I used 50 ml, but it was a much larger machine than my little one in Paris.