We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free entry for journalists?

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
153 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Free entry for journalists?

Hello, I've read that press card holders benefit from free entry at Versailles, Louvre and Orsay. I was wondering if this applies to Sainte Chapelle as well and maybe even to Notre Dame - for the tower.

My husband holds a press card, but I will have a museum pass. Considering this, can we both skip the long lines or just me?

Thank you in advance!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,481 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free entry for journalists?

At the Louvre, journalists can buy an annual entrance pass for 35 Euro; I don't believe there is free entry. Teachers can also buy these passes; I believe French teachers i.e. in the French schools get free entry when accompanying classes.

2. Re: Free entry for journalists?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 15:22
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Free entry for journalists?

Yes, that's what I thought, the museum pass doesn't help with lines at either Sainte-Chapelle or Notre Dame towers. It only saves you waiting at the ticket line at Sainte-Chapelle.

…parismuseumpass.com/musee-tours-de-notre-da…

…parismuseumpass.com/musee-sainte-chapelle-4…

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free entry for journalists?

At the Conciergerie there is never much of a queue, but you can get a ticket there that includes entry to Sainte-Chapelle. The joint ticket is not a lot more than the individual entry to each. So if you intended to visit the Conciergerie anyway, that's your ticket into Sainte-Chapelle sorted!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Free entry for journalists?

I started second-guessing what I wrote earlier because when I enter the Louvre with my teacher pass there are sometimes journalists entering free with their press card. In their fine print 2013 PDF brochure, the Louvre does say free admission to journalists upon presentation of their national or international press card. Funny they don't state it on their website in the admission section. I will see if I can find more info for the other places.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 15:16
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Free entry for journalists?

Yep, same thing at Versailles: free for journalists but the info is well hidden in a PDF file :)

I deleted my post #2 because it had inaccurate information about journalists not getting free entry.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 15:24
Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
153 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free entry for journalists?

Yeah, fine print to get more money. :)) Thanks for the answers!

Silver Spring...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Free entry for journalists?

Brunhilda,

How did this go for you? Was your husband able to skip lines with his press pass? My spouse and I are going next month to Paris and have the same situation. I have a press pass, but he will use the museum pass. Thx!

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Free entry for journalists?

cmhandcjw,

Yes you get to skip the lines at Versailles and Orsay with your press card. I don't know about Sainte-Chapelle. At the Louvre you can use the Richelieu entrance and since your husband will be with you they will probably let him through that entrance too.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free entry for journalists?

Special admission conditions, where they exist, are intended as a convenience for journalists who are working, not as free passes for people who are too cheap to pay a few euro for standard admission. If you wish to advertise the ethical standards (or lack thereof) to which the profession adheres in your country, go ahead and try to slip in, but nobody will be fooled.