We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crepes

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Crepes

Ok stop reading now if you r going to give me a nasty response. I had some crepes in Paris and did not enjoy them. Here in the US years ago there was a creperie called "the magic pan" I loved their crepes. I was expecting delicious crepes like that in Paris with fabulous sauces but I never saw any like that. The crepes we had were chicken cheese and mushroom no sauce very dry, and ham and cheese again dry. Also at "mon ami gabi" in vegas they serve wonderful crepes as well. Is there anywhere in Paris that has savory and sweet crepes with fabulous sauces.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crepes

Hi Emmie!

Can you let us know when you are coming back to Paris?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crepes

You need to go looking for galettes, the traditional savory buckwheat pancakes from Brittany. I personally don't get the whole crèpe craze, in Paris or anywhere else. But I'll occasionally really enjoy a galette.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crepes

Any idea where you had crepes in Paris?

I had crepes at Compagnie de Bretagne and thought they were fabulous, but they were not smothered with sauces.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crepes

I'm affraid you're in love with an american adaptation you won't be able to find in Paris.

BTW, same goes with pizzas, ligher toppings fewer cheese in Paris.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crepes

There are lots of crêpe restaurants in the Latin Quarter, and also quite a few near the Montparnasse railway station. Crêpes that you buy in a crêpe restaurant are likely to be better than those you buy from a stand on the street.

Most tourists love crêpes, especially with Nutella on them, but they aren't for everyone.

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Crepes

Seanbee.........Feb 2014 is our next trip.

F1racegirl........We had crepes one night at a crepe restaurant called City Crepes on rue de seine. We also had nutella crepes at a little place in the 5 th.

Edited: 30 June 2013, 21:37
Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Crepes

Feb 2014 is our next trip.

We had crepes one night at a crepe restaurant called City Crepes on rue de seine. We also had nutella crepes at a little place in the 5 th.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crepes

I think beinvenueaparis has probably hit the nail on the head about American vs. French crepes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crepes

Another thing...the savory crepes in Paris are made with buckwheat flour and have no sugar in them. The taste is very different than what they use in the US for savory crepes, which is just the regular crepe batter, with a bit less or no sugar.

I've never been served a crepe in Paris that had a sauce on it.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crepes

I remember having crepes at 'the magic pan' in Toronto years ago and have had them at 'mon ami Gabi' in Vegas also, but the creeps that are most like the ones in France, I had at Crepe Bretonne in old Montreal. They are very much like the gallettes in Paris. I can't remember the name of the cafe, but I had a lovely galette and cider just north of rue St. Germaine. I would love to know names of some places that serve good crepes; I will be in Paris in less than a week!