We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paris to versailles - paris to brussels

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
paris to versailles - paris to brussels

Good morning to all!

We are planning a trip to Paris in September for a week and would like to include Versailles in our planning. What day would you recommend would be best for that day trip? It has also been recommended to us to stop in Lyon on our way to Nice - that it is a very picturesque town to visit (we would only be able to do a one day/one night stopover) - any suggestions/comments/ Thanks a bunch for help given.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paris to versailles - paris to brussels

The main things to consider for a visit to Versailles are (a) to avoid the day it is closed (Mondays) and (b) decide if you want to pay 8€ extra to see the fountains working... The fountain days shift a little between seasons but the website will say which days of the week it is..

http://en.chateauversailles.fr/homepage

When you said 'brussels' did you mean 'Lyon'..? lol

Lyon is a big city with its own 'flavor' and worth a stopover...

http://www.en.lyon-france.com/

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
186 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paris to versailles - paris to brussels

Lyon is definitely worth a stopover. It is a fairly quick trip by TGV. I visited several years ago on my way to Provence. I took the HOHO bus to get a sense of the city. Lyon is known among other things for its traboulles or covered passages. They were used to protect the silk which was a big part of the economy and then in WWII they were used by the Resistance to evade the Nazis. Lyon is also known for its food and the central market there is fabulous; a must see IMO. As for Versailles, I agree with the poster above. When I go, I usually have a museum pass and go early. It takes about half a day and then when I get back to Paris I use my pass to visit a few other sites that are fairly quick.with only small or no lines like Rodin, Napolean's Tomb, the Orangerie or the Arc de Triomphe. Enjoy your visit!

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
261 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paris to versailles - paris to brussels

Thanks for your responses - mentioning Brussels by mistake - our big plan is to travel to Lyon - spend the night, see what we can and then continue on to Nice the next day. We are also going to take a day trip to Brussels, but also found out that many museums and shops are closed on Mondays - so we will squeeze it in somewhere! It will be a busy time!!

4. Re: paris to versailles - paris to brussels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 05:18