We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive evening activities for family?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive evening activities for family?

Hello,

We will be in Paris for 5 nights with our teen daughters. Can anyone suggest evening activities that are reasonably priced? I looked into the cabaret shows and they would be $600 for us to attend. We may splurge on an evening river cruise on night. Any other ideas? We are staying on the Left Bank off Rue St. Michel.

Thanks!!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

When will you be visiting?

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,110 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

Many museums have evening hours. Musee d'Orsay is open late on Thursdays, the Louvre is open late on Wednesday and Friday, Centre Pompidou is open until 10pm every night (closed Tuesdays). Arc de Triomphe is open until 11pm. I think the Eiffel Tower is open until Midnight. Jacqumart-Andre is open late on Mondays. Espace Dali is open until 8pm

:-)

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
218 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

We will be visiting at the end of July.

Thanks!!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

Check out the open air cinema at Parc Vilette

villette.com/fr/…Cinema-en-plein-air-2013.htm

Movies are shown in original with french subtitles

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

I saw a lot of families strolling down the old Paris expressway section along the river.

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

There's lots to see there for free. On my last night in Paris there was sort of a fashion show that was quite entertaining, plus there are tables with board games to play along with little food stands for refreshments.

Some of my Les Berges pictures are scattered through these pages:

anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

Totally free of charge is the dancing along the Quai Saint Bernard every non-rainy night. (It is the riverfront facing the Ile Saint Louis on the Left Bank.) There is tango, salsa, rock... several different areas for all tastes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

An evening cruise on the Seine need not be a splurge. If you use the discount coupons from Vedettes du Pont Neuf, it would be less than E50 for your whole family.

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/index.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,051 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

cheapest of all are evening walks -- my favorite is the Pont Alexandre at night on top of the hour when the Tower sparkles -- it is a stunning place with wonderful views in every direction -- and you can start or end with the Arc de Triomphe or Concord -- or stroll down the left bank up to Notre Dame.

circling Notre Dame at night is also a stunning sight (if they have the lights back on at night -- they were off this last fall)

We also have walked in the Latin Quarter at night -- it was kind of fun to walk down the street where the car picks up Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris -- it is a very charming street (just to the left of St. Etienne du Mont near the Pantheon)

Paris is full of sidewalk cafes where you can break up a walk with drinks and a rest -- although avoid those on the Champs if it is a budget evening.

There are also many movie theaters in Paris that show films VO i.e. in the original language so it is not hard to find current releases in English.

The Pariscope magazine which comes out weekly (Wednesday I think) costs 40 cents and in the music section organized by date it lists concerts of various sorts -- many of which are free. These are often in the day time but some are in the evening. They range from pretty good classical music in lovely spots e.g. the Madeleine to very amateur presentations in weird church basements.

Museums with evening hours also tend to be less crowded; the biggest problem with that though is it interferes with the dinner hour and having a leisurely dinner is one of the pleasures of Paris and can take up a good chunk of the evening.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

You could simply walk along the Seine and take in the sights at night. Paris is beautifully lit at night (it's not called the city of lights for nothing!) and I really enjoyed seeing things like Notre Dame, Hotel D'Ville, the Congererie and especially the Eiffel Tower lit up so prettily. If you use http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com a family of 4 (2 adults 2 teens) can cruise the river for about €24. You could also go to Tour Montparnasse for the 56th floor observation deck for some great views of the entire area. Rates are €13.50 for adults, €10.50 for 16-20 and €8 under 16, so not too pricey.

I really like the idea of dancing on Quay Saint Bernard, and wish I had known about it for my trip!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inexpensive evening activities for family?

You might also shop for a picnic and enjoy it on the Champs de Mars, underneath the Eiffel Tower. The offerings for a picnic are spectacular in Paris and it's light well into the evening, so no fumbling in the dark for your dinner.