We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

California
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

So on June 27th, we needed a taxi to the airport for 6 people with luggage going to CDG. On this forum, I was advised by several folks to take G7 as they were the largest taxi company in the city and I read lots of great reviews. So I called them the day before and paid €5 extra via credit card to book a taxi for the next morning at 8:15am.

At 8:15am, I get a phone call from G7 stating that they don't have a taxi for me even though I booked the night before and I would have to wait or I can cancel. Not having another option I said I would wait. At 8:30am they called me back to say that they still did not have a taxi to take us that could accommodate 6 people. I told them that we had to leave so forget a single taxi if they can't find one and send 2 regular taxis. They said they would call me right back.

I started to get concerned and immediately googled the Metro to get to CDG. This was not an initial option for us because of all the luggage and because my mom has bad knees and has trouble with all the stairs. To make matters worse, it was raining that morning. At 8:45am, I get another call and they said they still can't find any cabs and asked me what I wanted to do. I told them they are leaving me without any options and i have to leave immediately and will have to catch the train. They told me that I would not get my €5 refund because I was canceling the reservation. I yelled back at the guy on the phone and said i wasn't canceling - they were a half hour late and couldn't tell me if/when they could be there and were leaving me stranded. He screamed back at me and told me too bad. I hung up on the guy and started hustling my family in the rain to the metro. This was morning rush hour on the trains, and lots of stairs with lots of luggage and a mom with bad knees. Not fun, but we made it just in time to board the plane. Fortunately, our apartment was close to Les Halles where the RER B train took us directly there.

In any event, I will not be using G7 in the future and would advise anyone to have a back up plan just in case your ride doesn't show.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
2,056 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

So sorry you went through this. Thanks for the warning about a back-up plan.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

Okay, I'm not going to dispute Catraveler's sense of their experience, but I am going to say how odd this is and ask "What number did you call? Was it really G7"? I have their English operator number in my cell because despite the fact that I can communicate in French, I'm not taking any chances with taxis.

NEVER have we EVER paid up front with G7. NEVER have we been asked for a credit card (whether I called the French number or the English number). They spend their brief time on the phone with me ascertaining what number to call back and where/when I want to be picked up. There is never a credit card issue.

Then, they show up when and where we asked for them (even with some offbeat pedestrian addresses, as happens with tourists).

So, I'm guessing you may not have called G7 - there's only one Paris English number that I know of. Look at your "recents" on your cell phone and post the number. Because it is very odd indeed - and I wouldn't want anyone to be left with the impression - that they asked for a credit card number.

Instead, you expect them to show up with 6-7€ already on the meter (no more than that because they have stations all over the place - maybe 8€ in some people's experience, but in ours - always 6. Plain old six Euros, on time, never asked for a credit card number.

Then, the meter starts to run. Still works out to 55-60€ to the airport (and I've never been charged the meter amount - always 55€ plus bag charge if we have big bags - which has only been one time).

Okay, maybe it was 60€ this last time - but I'm seriously not paying attention to 5€ when the taxi arrives right on time and takes me where I want to go.

We use occasionally (and talked to people who use them more regularly) when out and about in Paris at night - no problems, no credit cards, no charges - just a regular taxi showing up and taking you where ever you ask.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

P.S. My experience has only to do with regular sized cabs. Advice if you need outgoing minivan sized cabs: order two of them.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

No company is 100% perfect, but it's a shame it happened to you -- large group + rain were the elements working against you. I hope that you have also understood that the RER is generally the best way to go to the airport, particularly if you are right next to a station.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

I should have said "Order two regular sized ones." They won't charge you and they are very likely to be able to find them.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

I've used G7 in the past and found them to be just fine. However, they do make a charge if you call at certain times:

"Pre-book your taxi to avoid last-minute stress.

You can book a taxi between 7 days and 1 hour in advance.

Free all day on weekends and public holidays, this service is invoiced

at €5 from 7.00 to 10.00am

and 5.00 to 9.00 pm, Monday to Friday*

This amount must be paid directly to the TAXIS G7 Call Centre

by credit card at the time of booking."

So if you call between 10am and 5pm, there is a charge.

Sandy

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

Excuse me, I meant before 10 or between 5 & 9! I always assumed that was because it was their busy time??

Sandy

California
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

Yes, G7 does charge 5€ if you pre-book during the morning and evening rush hours (new during the past year or two). Several times when calling the night before for a taxi at 7:00 am, the operator has suggested I book for 6:55 to avoid the charge.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

I can completely understand your frustration.

You did everything to ensure a cab turned up, you gave 12 hours notice.... not much else you can do. Then after half an hour late they couldn't even find two regular cabs. And to not refund the deposit when it is them breaking the contract ... pfffft.

The fact you had pre-booked and were going to the airport to me should have given you some priority... extremely poor service and justified complaint.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 06:18
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: G7 Taxi Left Us Stranded

Taxi G7 is basically a dispatch service for over 6000 taxis. 80% of their taxis are independently owned and operated by the driver. Taxi companies will charge 5€ for their services if you contact them during certain high volume periods. I don't think the charge applies to reservations made by internet however.

A taxi not showing on time is something that rarely happens but no service, not even the RER or the airlines themselves, operates without occasional problems. The part of this unfortunate story that is not clear is what happen specifically when you called at the pickup plus 30 minute time frame, apparently when the screaming started? Your narrative leads us to believe that the dispatcher told you that no cars were available and that your 5€ reservation fee would not be refunded. It would seem that if no cars had been available for 30 minutes and that no cars would be available in the near future, that Taxi G7 would not dispute retuning 5€.

If indeed Taxi G7 kept 5€ for a reservation that they were unable to honor, you should file a complaint with the police as it is the police who oversee taxi service. Even if they did refund your 5€, you should file a complaint. This is the form to file a complaint against a driver but you should be able to adapt it to you situation.

…gouv.fr/content/…formulaire_reclamation.pdf

Taxis, by law, cannot refuse to take you to the airport. Exactly how you might be compensated, beyond refunding your reservation fee, is probably not clear but you should follow through with a complaint by completing the above form and mailing it to the Préfecture de Police.

Préfecture de Police

Bureau des taxis et transports publics

36 rue des morillons 75015 Paris

If you need help filling out the form, let me know and I'll go through it will you line by line.

_____

Having a backup plan to the airport is always a good idea, particularly for trips to the airports. If you were staying near les Halls, it should be possible, from the street level at this station, to reach the RER without taking the stairs. Hopefully you were able to avoid the stairs.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 07:57