We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris.........and?.......?

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
941 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Paris.........and?.......?

We would like to return to Paris next Spring....possibly mid May. Would love to combine the trip with a second city we could easily get to by train. We have not been to London or Amsterdam so those are possible choices. Another option is to split Paris with another part of France. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
France
France
Europe
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

It all depends on how long you have.

Are you looking for day trips or staying in two different places?

What are rou interested in ?

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,806 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

If you have never been to London or Amsterdam I would choose one of those.

I adore Amsterdam but if I might lean towards London for the Eurostar experience.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
941 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

Probably spend 5 days in Paris and 3-4 in a second city. We live in NYC so London theater would not be a draw for us.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
London
London
England, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

I lived and worked in London in the 60s and so only wanted to experience the Eurostar and spend the morning at the Queen's Gallery and the afternoon at the V&A, so a day was enough for me. However, I had just spent 10 days in Amsterdam and absolutely loved every minute of it. I had only been there for 5 days in a winter in the 80s. It depends on your interests. There are wonderful museums in both cities. I'd get a guidebook on both cities and make a list and see which city gets the most ticks

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
The Queen's Gallery
The Queen's Gallery
540 Reviews
London, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

London, Amsterdam, Brussels or possibly Brugges. My personal choice would be Bayeux for an overnight stay and a tour of the D-day beaches and the American Cemetery. In all of our many trips to Europe and Paris, the beach area of Normandy is the only place we really felt compelled to return to. An easy train trip. (we originally come from North Merrick.)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bayeux
Bayeux
Calvados, France
American Cemetery
American Cemetery
302 Reviews
Verdun, France
Europe
Europe
World
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

I suggest very nice place

Brouge

You can travel by train to proxel, it will take hour and have, then take another train from proxel to brouge, 3 houre

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
153 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

Do you mind a long overnight train ride? Because I would recommend Rome if you haven't already been there. We had a fortnight in Europe in June and we split the time between Rome and Paris. Paris is wonderful but Rome became our favorite just because it has a soul like no other place in the world.

Edited: 07 July 2013, 13:15
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

No, its not a night train, and you can

Take a train any time, no need for reservation

Brouge beautiful place,

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,186 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

Bruges is 2 trains away--to Brussels then transfer to a local train. We loved it. London is a Eurostar away but if you only have 2-3 nights, Bruges is a great choice.

Check out the option of flying to Brussels, train to Bruges that morning, then trains to Paris and flying home from Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris.........and?.......?

Rome, London and Amsterdam are all excellent choices. I have never been to Normandy but have heard positive things. You can also take the TGV (approx. 3 hours) to Lyon, if you want to stay in France. I loved every minute of my time there. They have fantastic Michelin starred restaurants which seemed more affordable than Paris (I am still raving about the Restaurant Pierre Orsi) and some Roman ruins. If Roman ruins are of interest, and the theatre in Lyon is not enough to keep your attention, there are tons more ruins in Vienne which is about 30-40 minutes away by train.

Lyon was France's silk capital so there are also lots of interesting things to explore in the veille ville, including the "traboules" which are covered passageways through and between buildings.

I had about 2.5 days there and managed to see all the major sites, albeit at a bit of a ruthless, breakneck pace.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
TGV
TGV