We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

Hello,

I was wondering if there are baby change tables in bathrooms (ie. in restaurants, public bathrooms) and also if restaurants usually have high chairs?

TIA

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

I didn't notice a change mat in restraurant bathrooms. The only baby change mat I used was at a small shopping complex near Gare St Lazare and museums.

I was never offered a highchair but I never asked for one, so I am not sure on that one.

I used the stroller alot for quick nappy changes and also as a highchair (thanks to previous advice on TA).

Mentioned in this post
Gare St. Lazare
Gare St. Lazare
279 Reviews
Paris, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,856 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

Changes tables in washrooms are extremely rare as washrooms in general are TINY. Bring your change mat and be prepared to do it on the floor. Very few have high chairs, I would not count on it. My daughters who travel with young kids bring the portable ones if they feel they need it.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

Saw lots of people ask for high chairs (including some French speaking people) but never saw one produced, so they must be rare in Paris (but perhaps not in the whole of France). Most places couldn't possible find a space to put a highchair - but I didn't see booster seats (lots of soft upholstered benches - wouldn't work with a booster seat very well and putting a booster on a café chair or similar would be dangerous). Didn't see anyone (ever, in six trips) use one of those clip-on high chair thingies, but those would work - some places (like some larger cafés and brasseries).

What I did observe (and by now, I've got hours and hours inside restaurants and cafés) is that young French families hold their lap babies on their lap, switch the baby back and forth and then, if it can toddle, let the child stand next to them - or take the child outside for a little walk. Restaurants are very prompt in heating up baby food, which parents often bring in microwavable plastic containers. French moms are expert at holding baby facing the table and spooning toward the baby, napkin in hand, but rarely is there any mess.

So bring a portable if you feel you need it, and have one person go and scope out the feasibility of using it before you commit to sitting down. Big strollers (and sometimes even fairly small ones) also may not fit inside cafés, so send a scout. Many outside areas can be quickly assessed as to whether a stroller will fit - but some parents dislike the fact that the open sidewalk still can contain cigarette smoke - and want to be indoors. When it's hot, you might want A/C too, so be prepared to abandon large stroller near entrance if you're traveling with one. So far, no reports of any being stolen. Small umbrella stroller is your best bet - and it could sort of be used as a dining chair in many circumstances, too.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

No, neither is common.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,856 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

Many restaurants do not even have space for your stroller, at times, not even the umbrella ones. There's also a new contraption where you can sort of sling the kid unto a chair, but really the kid on the lap works best in those tight places where tables can be tiny as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,116 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

most cafes and brasseries do not have the space for a stroller at the table -- in many months in Paris I have only seen a high chair once -- a place in Montparnasse had them -- the kind that put the child up at the table, not with a separate tray -- but it is very uncommon

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Montparnasse
Montparnasse
1,094 Reviews
Paris, France
Marseille, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

You just have to be selective with the places you eat at. We had the stroller with us for every meal for a week. The places we went to were very accommodating and in one occasion they gave us a table for four when it was just the two of us. The places we ate were not empty but they were not really busy either. I just sent my husband in first to ask for a table with stroller.

We had a umbrella stroller. Big prams would be a challenge.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

Chain restaurants have high chairs. Do not expect them anywhere else.

Garden Grove...
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

I have never seen a changing table in Paris. The only restaurant with highchairs we saw was the Red Hippo, a chain restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Canada
Level Contributor
227 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby change tables in washrooms? High chairs in restaurants?

So without changing my baby on a gross floor.....and she will actually be 1.5 years when we go...so she doesn't stay still for long....where/how to people change their toddlers? Pull-up diapers? Just change them standing up wherever they are...for all to see? eekk

Good point on the strollers not fitting in.....hmmmm