We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Paris dilemma

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Where to stay in Paris dilemma

My husband and I are travelling to Paris for the first time in May'14 after 2 weeks in UK. We will spend a week in Paris then join a small tour to the regional wine areas. I've now done so much research on hotels, areas to stay etc that I am now totally confused about what to do and where to stay. Our budget is AUS$400 - $500 per night. The Marais district has been recommended to us but I am unsure. As this is our first visit we plan to do all of the touristy things eg Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Seine boat cruise, Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, plenty of walking, some shopping, some people watching etc etc. I admit to being pretty fussy in terms of cleanliness, presentation etc in a hotel and I don't want to stay in a cookie cutter hotel room that could be any where. I'm thinking about the Hotel Georgette but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Paris dilemma

Hi Bugs060,

I stayed at the Hotel Aviatic in the St. Germain area. It was a great boutique hotel with clean rooms and a very friendly staff.

While I have to admit that there wasn't much in the immediate area of the hotel, a walk down the block and you were on the Boulevard du Montparnasse with its shops and restaurants.

It was about 300m to the nearest Metro station, and it was about 2.5 km to the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and the Louvre (I walked to each from the hotel because I love to get a feel for a city by walking through it).

When I go back to Paris (not sure when, but I will), I would consider staying there again.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d197428…

www.aviatichotel.com/uk/index.php#index.php

Enjoy your trip. Paris is wonderful.

Zed

New Hampshire
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
20,963 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Paris dilemma

Except for the chains, there are few "cookie cutter" hotels, and your budget is quite generous, with which I would be looking for a balcony or terrace and view.

Staying in the Marais is highly recommended, but so are Saint Germain, Latin Quarter, Isle St-Louis, etc.

For a first visit, you're more likely to be running all over, out from early to late, and probably not be spending a lot of time in the immediate neighborhood of the hotel where you choose to sleep.

Hotel Georgette is not really in the Marais...more Les Halles/Beaubourg, as stated on the website. I doubt anyone would describe the area as the "heart of the Marais". The location is quite convenient in that it's within steps of three metro lines which means you could get all over with no or fewer transfers.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Paris dilemma

An hotel I always recommend but I find it perfect, especially for first timers: hotel Caron de Beaumarchais (…uk.com/accommodation/…e-21614.html), it's located in Le Marais.

CT
Level Contributor
852 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Paris dilemma

Look at Hotel Duc de Saint Simone..not in the Marais but charming area near rue du Bac. Think about an apt. Guestapartments have places that are in lovely locations and provide almost as much support as a hotel though of course not daily cleaning. Good luck.

5. Re: Where to stay in Paris dilemma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 05:18