We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris Itinerary

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paris Itinerary

We are a family of 5 staying in an apartment near the Louvre. We are 2 adults and three teens.We will have 4.5 days in Paris and we are arriving at noon on Sunday and plan to see the Eiffel Tower,and Champs Elysees& Arc de Tripomphe. We were wondering if would be best to do the l'open bus tour on day 1 -( Monday) or go directly to the Louvre in the morning after getting a musuem pass, and then see Notre Dame & Latin Quarter. Then day 2 - the Musee d'Orsey on Tuesday a.m. and Rodin in the afternoon, and spend day 3 -seeing Chateau Versailles and day 4 - Shopping on Thursday. Any suggestions for our itinerary would be helpful.

Bastille Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Mouffetard Market
Flea & Street Markets
Rue Cler
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Flea & Street Markets
Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris Itinerary

I would do the open bus tour on Monday..a great way to get oriented. I think I would buy the museum pass early Tuesday am and use it T,W, Th...work your shopping around this (I think in fact buy the pass Monday..it doesn't start until it is stamped which would be Tuesday am.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris Itinerary

Hi Megai

One thing to remember with the museum pass is that some museums are closed on Monday (including the Musee d'Orsay & the Rodin), while others, including the Louvre, are closed on Tuesdays. The museums covered by the pass are listed on the site and if you click on the photo for each one it tells you the opening times.

www.parismuseumpass.fr/flash/hp_fr.html

Commenting on your planned itinerary

Sunday - The Eiffel Tower is not covered by the pass. The Arche de Triomphe is covereds by the pass but is open every day.

Monday - the Louvre is open but entrance to Notre Dame is free except for the tower, which I do not believe is covered by the pass, so you pay for a day's pass and only use it for one sight.

Tuesday - the Musee d'Orsay is open as is the Rodin, so you get two entries with the pass.

Wednesday - Versailles is covered by the pass. Personally I would get there by RER early and return to Paris for the afternoon because I dont think it warrants a full day's trip and it is only a 30-45 minute train trip from Paris.

My only comment is that if you are only using the 2 day pass on Monday for the Louvre and Tuesday for the Musee d'Orsay and the Rodin, you are not getting much value for money for your pass and will be paying for the Arche de Triomphe and Versailles on days you won't have the pass.

For Sunday, go to the Eiffel Tower and then maybe take the metro to Montmartre and see Sacre Coeur and watch the sunset before dinner. That gives you two good overviews of Paris for orientation.

Monday - spend the day on foot looking at the Marais area in the 4th including the Place des Vosges then on to the area around rue Vieille du Temple and go down it and cross rue du Rivoli and then down rue du Pont Louis Philippe on Ile St Louis ane then cross the bridge to Ile de la Cite where you will find yourself looking at flying buttresses at the back of Notre Dame, visit it and then Sainte Chapelle (have lunch around this time) then across to the Latin Quarter for more walking and stopping for coffee etc.

Tuesday, perhaps go early to the Arche de Triomphe - it is not going to take you a long time to look at the view & there is not much else to see) and then walk down the Champs Elysees (it is really just a big avenue) to the Place de la Concorde then across the bridge and along the Seine to the Musee d'Orsay. Have lunch in the area and then walk to the Rodin, so you get to use your pass for three places.

Then perhaps you could visit the Louvre on the Wednesday after you see Versailles (or vice versa) and get two entries with your pass on that day.

That leaves Thursday for shopping.

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris Itinerary

We also need some help with the following!!

We are also trying to decide on purchasing Carte Orange vs carnet of tickets for 5 of us. I'm not sure if we should get the musem pass and get the SNC ticket to Versailles that includes train ride and enterance to Versailles? I've read that the pass on covers certain parts of Chateu Versailles and we would have to purchase tickets to see the apartments.

Malta
Level Contributor
466 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris Itinerary

As far as I can remember from my research the Notre Dame tower is covered by the Museum pass. The official web site is of great value if you intend to use the pass.

Enjoy. I will be enjoying Paris very shortly!!

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris Itinerary

given the short time you are there the orange card is probably not cost effective -- we were there for 10 days and still found that using the carnets was cost effective for

us -- it depends on how much metro riding you plan to

do of course -- and how central your hotel is --

when we spent a month in the 20th, the orange card

was VERY cost effective -- but in a more central location we found the pleasure in walking around Paris to mean

that we got little use out of the metro --

I wouldn't get the museum pass either -- it is expensive and then you feel you have to go to a lot of museums and monuments to justify it -- the only possible reason given your itinerary is to avoid the line at the Orsay -- but you can also do that by just buying your ticket for the Orsay a day ahead (there is an office on site to do that) -- the Louvre

is cheap and doesn't have much of a ticket line -- and everybody has to go through the security line to enter (generally the caroussel entry is short and it is also in an air conditioned mal so even a wait is not as odiousas standing in the sun by the pyramid)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris Itinerary

Megaj

I agree with Grace that to me it is not worth getting the museum pass if you are only planning to see a few museums and the only benefit it gives if you dont visit a number of these museums each day is avoiding lines.

IrishRover prepared this outline of use of the museum pass that also covers metro passes

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,810 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris Itinerary

Sorry, here is the link to IrishRover's insider page

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187147-c3012/Paris:F…

Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris Itinerary

Thank you everyone for your help. It is much appreciated. We have decided not to buy the museum pass but we are going to get the ticket to Versaille that includes the train ride.

9. Re: Paris Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 14:20