We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

We are going to Paris on Sunday and we intend to take the train in from CDG airport. The person whose apartment we have rented has told us to get off at Chatelet les Halles as the flat is 150m away from that stop on Boulevard de Sebastopol. I am aware that it is a very large (possibly the largest in Europe?) station. Have you any advice for me to help me find my way through it easily?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,031 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Maybe the apartment owner can help answer your question?

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,643 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

It's very easy. Just read the signs pointing to Porte Lescot. It's just above the RER track so you won't be walking across the whole station. You will be going up several levels in sort of a large clockwise spiral pattern. I think! It's practically the only station I use when I go to Paris and the one I am the most familiar with but since I have no spacial memory and the worst sense of direction I still rely on reading signs! :) So trust me, if I find it easy anyone would.

It is just that it is a very busy and fast-paced station so my advice is to get out of people's way and take time to read the signs.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 15:10
California
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Yes, ask the apartment owner for the name of the exit within the station that you should take (will probably be a street name). The exits are usually numbered too, so you'll keep an eye out for the number and the name. The problem I have with that metro stop is that no matter how carefully I'm watching for the signs to my line or my exit, somewhere along the way the signs stop or don't clearly show which direction to go. More often than not, I have to retrace my steps and try another corridor looking for the signs to continue. Maybe it will be less frustrating if you know to expect this and not to be in a hurry!

Edited: 12 July 2013, 15:16
Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,643 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Oh and in case I wasn't clear, the Porte Lescot exit (or Porte Pierre Lescot, I forget the exact name) will bring you onto rue Pierre Lescot (so you can view it on a map). From there you walk straight ahead coming out of the escalator and it will take you to Boulevard de Sébastopol. All you need to do is follow the hordes of people as most head in that direction!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Rue Pierre Lescot is parallel to Boulevard de Sébastopol and is just two short blocks away. It's a snap.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Thank you for your advice. I have just emailed the apartment owner and will wait to see what he says, but your helpful advice about the name of the exit is what I was looking for.

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Yes it is large. And I have commented about this. It is very doable. If it is you first time. Just be prepared that you could feel overwhelm as there are going to be hundreds of people knowing exactly where they are going and you could get caught up in the stram of traffic. If you know the exit you want to go just look for those signs and go at your own pace. You might get some dirty looks..ie slow poke. But hey you don't know them and stay to the side so people can pass. The exit have numbers. Whenmyou get off the train you will see a metro map with the exit numbers and where they exit. Once you know the number just follow the arrows. Just realize there are a lot of arrows and exits lol

London & Paris
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

"When you get off the train you will see a metro map with the exit numbers and where they exit."

Well, I've never seen that. You get off the RER train and see a Métro map with station exit ("Sortie") numbers? If that exists, you might well not see it on a long, crowded platform.

The Porte Lescot exit is Sortie 2. When you emerge on to the street, straight ahead of you is Rue de la Cossonnerie. At its end is Boulevard de Sebastopol.

Edit: Street maps showing exit numbers do exist. There is generally one somewhere at most multi-exit stations, but you have to hunt for it. At Châtelet-Les-Halles it's better to look for a blue Sortie sign to 2, Porte Lescot.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 21:14
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

Thank you again to everyone for your help. RichardRFC, your info about the street names once out of the station and the fact that Porte Lescot is Sortie 2 was most helpful.

We didn't find Chatelet les Halles especially busy - maybe because it was a Sunday and also the fête nationale.

Anyway, we have arrived safely and are off out now to explore!

Manchester United...
Level Contributor
236 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Negotiating metro Chatelet les Halles

If you need to look at a map, get your breath and sort yourself out move over to a pillar or wall out of the stream of locals who are trying to get on with their day.

You will feel less stressed and the locals will thank you for not causing a blockage

If there are two of you one can stand guard over the luggage and the other can go on a quick recce