We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

Traveling to France at the end of September. We are currently planning on 5 nights in Paris and 2 nights in Uzes. This is our first time to visit France. My question is, would it be better for us to stay in Paris for 7 nights and throw in a day trip or two (Versailles, Mont St. Michel) versus taking the train to Avignon to spend 2 nights in Uzes? We thought we had it all figured out, but are now feeling torn! Seasoned travelers to Paris/France, what is your opinion?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

2 nights in Uzes really only gives you one full day, and maybe another half day. I think this area deserves more time. last time I visited I stayed 4 nights, but I had been before and visisted the surrounding area before. So it would make sense to just stay in Paris and take a day trip or two,

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

I am totally biased and would stay in Uzes and forget Paris. I love the place, have been there often, and can't wait to get back there very soon! However, it isn't great if you don't have your own transport. If you are trying to see this area using public transport then you are probably better off staying somewhere like Avignon.

Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

Our plan is to rent a car in Avignon. We have a terrace suite at L'Albiousse reserved for 2 nights. Looks like such a lovely place, but may be more trouble than we originally thought.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

It really seems a bit strange to me, especially for first-time visitors, to choose Uzès to fan out from Paris to. It's a lovely town, for sure, and I've enjoyed it many times, but it sure seems like a haul from Paris even with the fast TVG to Avigon, for just two days. I think I'd probably been to France 50 times before I was in Uzès. It's just not a first-time destination, though I suppose one could say that about a zillion places. What even made you think of this? Is there some very particular draw to this town?

At any rate, I would concentrate on Paris and maybe take a daytrip or two. There are dozens to choose from. And Paris will have you so spellbound you won't want to leave, anyway.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 22:05
5. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2015, 18:09
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,454 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

I'd never do this -- a week is a nice first visit to Paris and there are many -- dozens really of great day trips nearby -- just some examples of the more popular ones Reims, Rouen, Chartres, Auvers sur Oise, Giverny, Versailles, Vaux le Vicomte -- and so many more

If you do decide to do this, I would do it first and then finish in Paris assuming you have round trip tickets out of Paris.

Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

We researched many towns/villages in southern France before deciding on Uzes. Why? Well, a walled, medieval town convenient to Avignon sounds like a perfectly charming spot to us. We were drawn by the historic architecture, including Pont du Gard, and also for the pleasures of staying at L'Albiousse and dining at L'Artemise.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

I do agree with janettravels about doing this at the beginning of your trip - that way you get travel out of the way the first day. I'd almost suggest adding a 3rd night in Uzes before heading to Paris to finish up your trip. Or, can you add a day or two to your trip?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

Definitely visit Uzes. It will give you a chance to see Provence which is lovely.

5 days in Paris will be enough of an overview to make you want more.

I don't consider versailles a day trip. It can be done in a morning and you have the afternoon in paris.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 nights in Uzes vs. day trips from Paris

I would like to see your list for "must sees" in Paris. If many are "see" but not necessarily "go to the top of", 5 nights in Paris is a viable survey visit. You will lose half a day getting to Uzes but see lots of France, enjoy the rest of the day and evening in Uzes, have one entire day before returning to Paris.

To be honest, we come to France several times a year, think nothing of zipping down or out to some obscure village for a day or so, love the difference in ambiance in the various countrysides. I've never been to the top of the Tour Eiffel or the Arc or Notre Dame, nor are they on my short or long lists. We use buses and ride past many of the monuments daily. We all dream or experience a different "Paris" and none is right or wrong. Just our own.

Your choices of lodging and restaurant in Uzes are stunning and obviously well researched and compatible with your taste and expectations. So what's not to like about your proposed agenda? Go for it and enjoy!