We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giverney Confusion

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
113 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Giverney Confusion

Planning on visiting on August. Went on the Giverney web site and they directed me to a rail web site to purchase tickets from Paris to Vernon. Do I need to purchase them in advance? I don't mind doing so but was hoping to be a little flexible in case it rained the day we were planning and that way we could go a different day.

California
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giverney Confusion

No, you don't need to purchase your train tickets in advance. Allow a few extra minutes at Gare St. Lazare and buy them the day you want to go. I would purchase your entrance tickets to Giverney before you go, tho.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 18:18
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Giverney Confusion

There will be no issue purchasing them the day you decide to go. Just be familiar with the train time schedules, so you allow yourself enough time there and know when your return time will be. Have a great trip. :)

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giverney Confusion

You can purchase them at the machine, sure the train (Rouan on screen and train) going is every 20mins past the hour. It's a pleasant tripwith the most wonderful gardens and home.

When you get to The town of Vernon get the connecting bus, try to get to thr bus asap as the bus meets the train and fills up VERY fast, it's first come first served.

I took a pic of the return bus times as again I'm sure there is 1hr between returns and if you miss that you may miss train.

Have fun

Save Reply
4. Re: Giverney Confusion

I am interested in visiting Giverney this spring. Is it a very easy trip from Paris? Worth booking a group tour? Better to travel independently for flexibilty?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giverney Confusion

Hi there,

The trains leave regularly from gare st.lazaire for Rouen. Get off at the stop Vernon and a bus meets each train that takes ALL people wether singles or parties.

A brilliant day trip from Paris!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giverney Confusion

Monet's home and garden is open from the beginning of April to the end of October. It's beautiful 3/4 day trip out of Paris, best on your own. You can purchase entrance e-ticket (and print at home) valid for entire season- that will let you cut the line and use side / group entrance.

Train ticket can be bought on the same day, or day before ( making sure of nice weather), but train ticket machines may have trouble accepting American credit card and line to a manned window can be very looong, that's way it's worth to buy it sooner rather than right before travel. It is best to take train leaving Gare St. Lazare around 8 AM and be there right around opening time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,025 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giverney Confusion

we waited till the day and the line for tickets was over an hour long -- so we missed the early train and decided to go the next day instead-- the tickets are good for several weeks -- I would suggest picking them up a few days in advance and then you can go when the mood and weather are right. just be sure to compost the ticket before entering the platform.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giverney Confusion

We went on a spur of the moment decision during peak season middle of busy July, used train ticket machine that took 2mins and were aboard next train within 10mins, small Q (5-10min wait)for tickets to garden at other end.... Nothing to it... No fuss.

Best to do it independently in my opinion.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,025 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giverney Confusion

Americans can't use the machines because our credit cards don't work on them -- the lines can range from 15 minutes to over an hour as in our case.

florida
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giverney Confusion

Apologies for barging in.

We're in our 80's and not so comfortable doing things on our own anymore. Are there some tour groups that are better than others for these sorts of day trips from Paris.

Thank you.