We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Bonjour!

I am enjoying planning and researching for our first trip to Paris in November, and I think I have started to narrow down our itinerary.

We are a young couple from Los Angeles in our late 20s we enjoy going out at night and our travel style is relaxed but not lazy. We are going to be staying in a apartment rental near Rue Cler Market.

We arrived at CDG on Saturday at 8:30 am and We leave for London via eurostar Wednesday at 12:00pm

This is the list of things we would like to do on our trip:

-Eiffel Tower

-Rue Cler

-Musee Marmottan (I'm a big Monet fan)

-The Louve

-The Catacombs (Les Catacombes)

-Pere-Lachaise Cemetery (My boyfriend is really into music so Jim Morrison's grave is on his list)

-River Seine Cruise (Night Cruise Possible w/ dinner)

-Montmartre

-Laduree

- Palace of Versaille

Will most likely shop as we walk around and probably want to go out at night.

Any suggestions or advice, things that should be added or replaced?

I'm also wondering if this itinerary is way to full for the time we have?

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
2,707 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Flying from Los Angeles, you first day will be a loss; blurred by jet lag. You seem to have accounted for that in only counting Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday as full days. You can't really count Wednesday, as you morning will mostly be taken up by getting to the Gare. That said, you should be able to do all the activities handily, with the exception of Versaille, which might be a bit much, IMO.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Heather, this is entirely reasonable. Our first visit to Paris was in November. One of the wonderful things about travel that time of the year is that there were almost no line ups. I woulds purchase a Museum Pass. Once you have it you don't have to waste time buying tickets at each site. Also, with the Museum pass in hand you will find yourself walking by sites covered by the pass. We found ourselves dropping in, sometimes for short visits, but other times found things we enjoyed and stayed longer. You will want to get familiar with the location of each the sites you want to visit. You can waste a lot of time going back and forth around the city, so knowing which sites are close is really important. Check the open/closed days for your sites to avoid disappointment. I would also encourage you to check out the bus schedules. It is a great way to get around the city, above ground so even the journey from one area to another is part of the vacation experience. Enjoy..

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Bonjour, Heather M,

I'm glad to see that your itinerary has items that are important to you personally. The only item that I would question is the trip to Versailles. It will take at least a half-day if you don't go to Marie Antoinette's domaine (the two Trianons, the hamlet and the farm). However, if it is important to see Versailles, then you should go. Your window of opportunity for Versailles will be narrow, as it is closed on Mondays and should be avoided on weekends.

Frankly, I would definitely include the Rue Cler and Eiffel Tower since they are near to where you are staying. After that, go to the Musee Marmottan and Pere Lachaise, take the Seine cruise and see what is left. Others may disagree, of course. My feeling is to see my priorities even if I have to do some back tracking.

You really don't want to be rushed through the Musee Marmottan and Pere Lachaise just to meet some agenda items. Jim Morrison's grave is nearest the Philippe Auguste Metro stop. I believe if you enter Jim Morrison in the Search function; you may find some tips on finding the grave. Just a warning: Pere Lachaise is huge and not laid out in neat little squares like a city grid. The cemetery is also fascinating, IMO, and it may be difficult to leave once you are there..

The following website will help with bus, Metro and RER:

ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/recherche-avancee

Only you can determine the importance of Versailles. If you bypass it, you'll have more opportunity to stroll around Paris and see why it appeals to so many people.

Bonne chance,

MrsJAS

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Oops! I forgot that your trip is in November. I was making my comment about avoiding Versailles on weekends based on full tourist season.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Thank you all for your input! I will consider if Versailles is worth the time, is there anything that you feel I'm am missing? I wonder if the gardens around Paris will be worth considering with trip being in late November?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

If you are Monet fan you can't afford to miss Musee de l'Orangerie ! It's south-west corner of Tuileries Garden by place de la Concorde. Also Musee d'Orsay has big collection of impressionists.

To be time efficient buy you Eiffel Tower tickets in advance ( 3 mths, I believe).

Check for museums closing days ( some are closed on Mondays, some on Tuesdays) and plan accordingly.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

For your Pere Lachaise visit- print a map from cemetery website in advance- it may not be available to buy, depending on which entrance you will take. No chance to find Jim Morrison's grave without map.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Of course there are things you are missing....hundreds if not thousands...but you have only 3.5 days in Paris, one of them jetlagged, so you can ony do so much. Sounds like a good plan in the making, but to make the most of your time make SURE you have a great map of Paris that you have studied in advance and know exactly how to use the transportation system so you don't waste time. Bonne route!

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

The gardens are worth a peak but unless you get very lucky with the weather I wouldn't go out of my way to see them. As others have said, there are many more things you can do. I would advise being flexible. For us Paris is the kind of city where you stumble across things and plans can change. It is a city that should be experienced. Enjoy....

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris - 3 1/2 itinerary- To much?

Thank you Tesa227 Musee de l'Orangerie looks amazing!

Edited: 23 July 2013, 05:08