We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Topic
Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

We went to the Trocadero metro stop last year at dusk to view the Eiffel Tower lit up. It was pretty festive with street performers, etc and felt very safe. We will be going back again this year but will probably arrive later. I was wondering until what time the Eiffel Tower lights up for 5 minutes on the hour. Is the Trocadero area safe at night at 10pm or later? And are there any bathrooms nearby for my children?

thank you so much.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

Yes, perfectly safe but as always in a touristy area, be aware of your surroundings. I was there around midnight a couple of months ago and there were plenty of people out & about. There are public restrooms but cleanliness varies and I'm not sure if they stay open all night. There are also several cafes where you can duck in to use the toilets.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

The sanisettes are usually locked at some point near, or just past, 10:00pm. There is public WC around/behind the Eiffel's southeast pilier but I don't know if it is locked at some hour - maybe not since the tower is open until 11:00 or a little later.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

Do you plan to use the metro to get back to where you're staying? I would try to find out exactly how late it runs.

We were at the Eiffel Tower for the Bastille Day fireworks. Afterwards the police were directing people to various metro stations, but all the metros were closed...this was about 11:40pm. Never found out if it was because it was a holiday, or because they close before midnight.

From what I experienced most people in Paris keep late hours...the area should still be pretty busy so I wouldn't worry too much about safety.

I would suggest planning on going to a cafe to use the toilettes...most of the public toilettes on the sidewalk I have encountered during my stay have been out of order or closed.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

The Metro normally runs until after midnight. This is a typical sign at the stairs to a platform, and it shows that the last train on Line 1 from St-Paul to Chateau de Vincennes leaves at 01.01: www.nickbooth.id.au/ParisMetroChange.jpg

Florida
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

After that, there are night buses - consult the RATP site. I believe they are labeled with an "N" for Noctilien.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

I propose that you what until you are back at the hotel before giving you children a bath.

This area is pretty safe at all hours.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

Kyle s,

Fat Chris is taking the pi$$ with that comment.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,454 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

in many languages the public can is referred to as the 'bathroom' not just American English and Americans generally find referring to the public head as the 'toilet' to be rather crude -- just one of many differences between American and British English -- so go enjoy your spotted dick and toad in the hole Chris and leave us alone

late at night for the OP -- there really are not public restrooms reliably available -- plan on using cafes which means buying a little something -- but then having a drink in the evening is a pleasant thing to do -- I discovered the sanisettes are locked up early years ago on a very long trek across Paris in the rain on a New Year's Eve -- Paris is also very well lit at night

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

Across the road from the steps of the Trocadero is café Kleber lovely place to have a coffee or a glass or two of wine and you can then use the John or Toilet or as we say in Dublin The Bog. Bring a good camera for views of the Eiffel and Trocadero or have a picnic up there with your family and hop a taxi back to your hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trocadero to view Eiffel Tower-Safe at night? Any bathrooms?

Well Janet I am a French person but I do enjoy a toad in the hole.