We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip planning burnout

SF Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Trip planning burnout

We're going to be in Paris for 3 1/2 days in October and quite honestly, I'm completely over this trip planning thing. I want to just wing it and see where we end up! I'm definitely suffering from information overload and planning burnout and I think I need to stop reading this forum for a few days! :)

That being said, have any of you just gone to Paris and just let the trip happen with little to no planning? We have our hotel but beyond that, I feel like just winging it and seeing what we stumble upon. But then, the OCD vacation planner in me is freaking out that I will miss something and regret that I never saw it but the other part of me is kind of excited to just experience the city without an itinerary.

I would love to hear all your perspective!

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip planning burnout

Why not meet in the middle. Here's what I usually do. I have a list of the places I want to visit, including the days/times it's open. Each day when I wake up, I see what the weather is like, what my mood is like and then I decide what to do.

That way, you're not a slave to an itinerary. You see what you want, when the mood strikes. If you're not in the mood to see a specific thing, you can just walk and see what adventure might lie around the next corner. Sounds like a delightful way to see the city.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip planning burnout

In this day and age, a trip to Paris is no longer a "once in a lifetime" experience. Therefore, if you miss something, it just becomes "something we absolutely have to see the next time" ... or the next, or the next, or the next.

Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip planning burnout

I hear you! I feel the same. Normally our holidays are booked at the last minute, like 2 months ahead of time, and I quite enjoy the planning. This time, we booked 8 months in advance and I feel like I am going in circles. I am not really finding out anything new, nor do I really know exactly what we are going. I bought the guide books (but haven't read in detail). I have a loose itinerary, but can't be bothered researching any more....

SF Bay Area, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip planning burnout

Our last 2 trips have been to Italy and they were totally last minute (my husband had to work in Milan so we tacked on 2 additional weeks to travel around Italy) and we had literally 6 days to plan our first trip to Italy and 2 weeks to plan our most recent trip to Italy. Planning was easy because I didn't have time to overplan! This trip, I've known since February and we're going in October, so too many months to plan!

I like your suggestion HappyGoin, I will make a list of "would be nice to see" and just let the chips fall where they may.

Kerouac, you are absolutely right, this is my 2nd trip to Paris (the first time I was there for 1.5 days and there was a museum workers' strike so no museums were open) and I know we're going to get there again someday.

Thanks everyone! And if anyone else wants to add their 2 cents, I would love to hear it. :)

Edited: 27 July 2013, 00:36
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip planning burnout

There is no need to spend months planning a very short couple day trip, just look through or read a guidebook and make a little plan of your own ..it shouldn't be too difficult to fill 3 days in Paris. Some guidebooks even suggest itineraries ..that you just need to adjust.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 00:48
6. Re: Trip planning burnout

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 02:35
Edited: 27 July 2013, 02:35
los angeles
Level Contributor
9,180 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip planning burnout

What the heck post #6???

Anyway, I agree with happygoin. You can use any destination (major or minor sight) you want to see as sort of a directional guide for exploration. Explore on the way to and the way back from the sight.

Do a lot of walking.

I love using a great little guided walks book called "Insight Guides: Paris Step By Step." Check it out--you have plenty of time before October!

Have a great trip!

8. Re: Trip planning burnout

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 July 2013, 03:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip planning burnout

MyGenie, the links on your website take you to specific businesses. As such, this could be construed as advertising, albeit indirectly. I would urge you to stop soliciting on TA. Even though your services *might* be free, it's still against TA policy.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip planning burnout

I don't know if you can get DK eyewitness Top ten Paris but they are a great little book just to give you some ideas and would suit the short trip.

However, there are two parts of my trip I love - being on the trip and the pre-planning stage, I love coming on TA to enhance my trip and am weirdly obsessed from the moment I start to plan which is normally up to 12mths ahead LOL......I have already planned another trip after for Xmas (Asia) we have a europe trip in 3 weeks and am already looking at those forums lol

Edited: 27 July 2013, 03:20