We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

7 posts
Save Topic
Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

I lost an expensive tablet computer inside a bag with my school ID. I don't know the company, as the taxi cab we got into was from the airport and was not label (as far as I can remember) well. I've tried calling the Objects de Troves number from the US (821 00 25 25) but can't get through. I'm not sure if I'm dialling incorrectly or if they don't accept calls from the states. What should I do?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

Try their email address. I don't think the French "800" numbers work from other countries.

servicedesobjetstrouves-paris@interieur.gouv.fr

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

Sorry to hear that!

Did you dial the +33 in front of the number, to reach the French network? Not sure these taxed numbers can be reached from abroard though. They also have an e-mail address: servicedesobjetstrouves-paris [at] interieur.gouv.fr (you'll have a much better chance of getting an answer if you write in French, IMO)

Did you get the taxi from the official lane outside the terminal (in which case it's a licensed taxi and you have a fair chance of getting your tablet back) or did you follow a clandestine taxi driver from within the terminal (in which case they would indeed have no recognizable tag, and you'd have very little chance to recover it then)?

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

It was from the official lane outside the terminal. It just wasnt marked well..if I do email the objects de troves, when would I get an response. In addition, is it legal for the taxi driver to keep the item and not return it?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

Of course it is not legal unless we are talking about a few coins found on the back seat. They are obliged to return all items found to their head office where they are kept a certain amount of time (perhaps a week) before they are turned over to the lost & found police office.

A dishonest driver would be foolish to keep any sort of electronic device since many of them contain tracking systems now.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 15:50
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

If you took a clandestine cab, one from a point of departure other than from the official taxi queue, there is possibly little you can do to recover your lost items.

If you took a taxi which departed form the official taxi queue, send as much information as possible: dates, times, and description of property to the:

Préfecture de police

Direction des transports et de la protection du public

Bureau des objets trouvés et fourrières

36, rue des Morillons - 75015 Paris

The phone number might possibly be called from the US (it is a toll number)

001 33 821 00 25 25

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

I thought international access from the US was 011.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,778 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

kerouac2 is absolutely correct, dial 011 from the USA.

I have been making a number of calls from France which uses 001 as the international access number.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

No -- France uses 00 for international access, just like most of the world. You've been dialing 001 because you have been calling North America -- the country code for the U.S. and Canada is 1.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,018 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

Kerouac makes a good point about tracking the device. Some airport (sigh) staffers here were found to have lifted ipads during security checks and were discovered and arrested because the items were tracked to their homes.

Does your tablet have this capacity?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost expensive item in Taxi Cab in Paris last week!

Issue with tracking AFAIK (IT guys may correct me) is that the sole GPS function is not enough, the device needs some kind of data band to communicate the position (as used by most antivirus suites). So unless the tablet was equipped with some data package (with international roaming activated), or the Wifi was on (but then the connection point has to be manually validated from the tablet), I woul not be too optimistic on that part. Again, I can be corrected on that technical stuff.