We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Hi the train to take from Paris to Amsterdam is the Thalys system right? And do you suggest buying tickets directly on their site or is it ok to buy tickets from other sites such as raileurope.com who had tickets for much cheaper (like half the price for the same day and around the same time).

Thanks for advice!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

It seems unusual that rail europe would be cheaper, but go for it. It is a pleasant trip, but not terribly scenic.

S

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,795 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

the key to cheap tickets is to book 3 mos in advance when they come on sale (and it is 3 mos not 90 days)

usually raileurope is more expensive but if by some chance it isn't go for cheap --

Little Rock
Level Contributor
609 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

I've used Thayls and RailEurope to purchase tickets for Paris to Amsterdam. On 1 occasion RailEurope was the same cost as the Thayls site but RailEurope charged a processing fee which my cc company reimbursed me for because my cc wasn't working on the Thayls site. On a different occasion the Thayls side was less expensive and I booked with no problems. Go with the less expensive ticket and print your ticket at home.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Thanks for the info! I've missed the cheapest fares by not booking sooner.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,755 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

I paid 35 euros last summer for Amsterdam to Paris on Thalys website..

Are you thinking of returning same day.. that's six hours of travel for a daytrip!

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
7,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Use www.Thalys.com (any Thalys journey) or for departures from Paris you can also use www.capitainetrain.com if you prefer, fares from €35.

In both cases there are no fees added, and a seating choice is offered. With Rail Europe you have to take the seat you're given, and a $7.95/€4 fee is added if you're talking the US or Australian/Asian/African Rail Europes, no fee for the UK Rail Europe.

Since all connect to the same French ticketing system, RE should always be the same or more than Thalys.com or Capitainetrain. If it appears to be cheaper, try actually continuing with that, and see if an error message appears, or the price changes to the higher price as shown on the other sites. It could just be a 'cache-ing' phenomenon, happens often with booking sites in general.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 09:19
O P
London, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

how long does this train take please?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,315 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

It takes a bit over 3 hours (3h15 if I remember correctly).

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

Oh no we are staying there for a few days and flying home from there so it will just be the 3 hours to get there.

10. Re: Train from Paris to Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2014, 05:16