We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris with no budget

Paris with no budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2016, 03:30
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,035 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paris with no budget

IMO $10K for the whole trip would be an expensive trip - you surely don't mean $10K for Paris alone?

<<He plans to spend upwards of 10K USD>>

Plans to spend or thinks he might need to spend?

Well, if you have the money and he wants to spend that amount.......let him (only make sure you get some nice goodies from the shops along the Champs-Elysees!!)

Seriously, that does seem rather a lot of money to budget for but then again I don't know if that includes flights, top class hotels, fancy restaurants, etc. etc.

I usually work on a general budget of $400-$500 per day (including hotels but excluding flights) I would imagine that might be nearer the mark. (Hope I have got my conversion from GBP to USD correct.)

Edited: 30 July 2013, 23:28
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris with no budget

Like most big cities, Paris is only as "expensive" as you allow it to be. In terms of value for dollars, IMO it's way better than where I live here in DC. But $10k for 9 days? Personally, THAT would be causing me "undue stress", especially if it doesn't include airfare. More than $1,000 a day? I don't think I could even manage to figure out how to do that!

On our last trip to Paris, SO and I spent about 125E a day (the two of us), and that was for lodging, food, and transportation (it would have been even less than that for transportation, but I was on crutches and we needed taxis 3-4 times). Granted, neither of us has need of souvenirs, we didn't need to visit museums, and we don't have big appetites, but we did eat well, had a nice bottle of wine every night, enjoyed a beer or coffee at a café almost every afternoon, and bought small things like a scarf or a small present for one of our kids a couple of times.

If it's the trip of a lifetime and you've got the money and are willing to spend it, I'm sure you can find ways to do that. Not my style at all, though (that was as much as the downpayment on my house in France, to give you another benchmark). Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,669 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris with no budget

in your shoes I would book your lodging and travel and such then add up costs for transport, museum pass and such so most costs are under control on the front end. then you only really have to think about food

we spend about 10-12K US for a 3 month trip to Europe --usually a couple of those months would be in Paris.

Our last 3 mos trip was one month in Italy -- Rome, Montepulciano and Florence and two months in Paris. We spent 12K including travel, apartment rentals, and food and such -- we don't spend any more in europe than we do at home on food and such because we don't eat out every day -- just as we don't eat out every day in the US. for a shorter trip with more restaurant eating of course costs climb. we don't get lavish apartments but we don't really scrimp either choosing.

we spent a month in Spain this spring and 2 weeks in Paris at a cost of 5K but we had two weeks free rent in Paris Spain is quite a bit cheaper than France for apartments and food

4. Re: Paris with no budget

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
205 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris with no budget

If the 10k does not include accommodation or transport. That would allow for some epic spending and shopping which would be fun.

We had a week in Paris and we would of only spent about 1200€ (estimate) on food, shopping and attractions for two adults. We spent 900€ on accommodation. We did not over indulge but we didn't go without either.

But like you said everyone has different styles and it depends on what you plan to do. It does not hurt to have some extra funds in your budget just in case.

Have a great trip.

Pennsylvania...
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris with no budget

Here is my rough guestimate....but I don't know you or how you like to travel or how much you drink!

Say $1200 hotel, $160 roundtrip airport, $100 - 4 breakfasts, $600 - 4 dinners, $120 - 2 (4 day) museum passes, $30 - 2 carney metro tickets, $30 - 2 boat rides, $100 snacks (crepe, pastry, baguette), $40 cabs to dinner, $300 souvenirs.

That comes out to $2680. for 4 days in Paris. You can also spend $600.for just 1 dinner, I didn't include any

drinking or tours or nightlife. Also that is a $300 per night room but again that can change.

To me Paris is like here, you can have a croissant and coffee on the run for 3 Euro each or a sit down meal for about 12. I'm sure a lot of people are gonna say this is too high, but this is what works for me.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,452 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris with no budget

Your husband is probably being "conservative" that is setting aside that amount of money, as you never know what comes us, and hopefully you end up spending less. A nice hotel with some luxury and comfort in prime location would be anywhere between 200€ to 350€ (could go higher of course....); what you spend on food and the rest becomes subjective to your taste. Michelin restaurants vary in price and whether you go for lunch or dinner and how much you drink. Shopping is altogether another issue: a matter of the scale of your caprices.

8. Re: Paris with no budget

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,452 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris with no budget

The other issue is that if you are there and there is something you really love, or something you really must do, Carpe Diem. Do it. No regrets!

10. Re: Paris with no budget