We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

Erin, Canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

I am in Paris for the first time for two days and want to see the eiffel tower. Any suggestions as to the best place to view it from at night? I read of TA that going on a boat cruise gives a good view and on a guided tour today heard there is another tower that has a restuarant/bar at top that you can go up for less money, with less lineups (think it may be Tour st. Jacques??) that has a good view of the Eiffel tower. Also anyone know if the elevator work is done at eiffel tower now or status of getting tickets for the behind the scenes tour? thanks in advance for any advise!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

my favorite stroll is to walk from Concord up to the Clemenceau stop of the metro on the Champs Elysees and then turn left just before the Grand Palais and walk down that street and across the Pont Alexandre where you can watch the Tour Eiffel twinkle on the hour. It is a gorgeous elaborate bridge (the one used in Midnight in Paris) and you can get a great picture for your Christmas card with the fancy bridge statues and the Eiffel Tower behind you (use flash at night which will illuminate you and the bridge but of course not affect the lit up tower in the background) From the bridge you have Invalides in front of you with its golden dome, the Grand and Petit Palais behind you with the glass roof lit up at night and a nice view up river as well including Concord. You can then continue down the left bank up towards Notre Dame (a fair walk) or reverse your steps and continue up the Champs to the Arc de Triomphe. It is a really lovely walk.

A year ago making this walk, I saw a very impressive meteor skim over the city just above the horizon and apparently just above the left bank buildings. Thought it was a plane crashing, then a helicopter until it dissolved in a burst of smaller sparks.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

The lines haven't been reported to be as bad as last year.

The 'other' tower is Tour Montparnasse in the 14th/15th arrondissement.

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/en/#/home

The best 'ground' view at night is from place du Trocadero:

Example (not my photo):

…staticflickr.com/4120/4941503136_9054019868…

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

If you have some free time go at night on Rue de Montessuy between Avenue Rapp and Avenue de la Bourdonnais. You'll see the tower from a residential side street, pretty amazing view.

And if you want to be closer, at the corner of Avenue de la Bourdonnais and Ave Gustave Eiffel you'll be very close

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

"Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?"

Sans question, l'Esplanade du Trocadero... right smack in front of it between the two palais de Chaillot., Other options include the Champs de Mars, but then you're right under it and it's huge.... ;)

But like other posters, it's purely subjective and all are equally good! Try them all if you're in walking distance....

Edited: 06 August 2013, 02:49
Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

Trocadero.

Australia
Level Contributor
637 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

We sat on the lawn in front and drank a bottle of wine that I had purchased along the way. Not sure if that was legal or not but others seemed to be doing it as well.

Erin, Canada
Level Contributor
411 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

thank you so much everyone for taking the time to reply with your great suggestions. I have two days left here so will try both a drink at the top of the Montparnasse tower and several of the walking jonts suggested to get my perfect picture of the Eiffel Tower. Many thanks!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

The Eiffel Tower is also magnifient when viewed from a great distance... for example the top of the Parc de Belleville.

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

We liked the view from the arc de triumph....but from a newbie...the answer is from whoever you can see it! There are many viewing points that you get surprised to see the tower in the background. A favorite surprise view was at the Rodin museum. If you go to the thinker, over his left shoulder you can see the tower...so paris! Also from the bridges are nice, due to the openness. In front. Our last trip, my 2nd to paris and my daughters first we were walking to Pont Alexander (on our first day) I kept telling my daughter to keep looking at me then when we got to the bridge. I told her to look to her right.... First view of the tower. I wish I could have taken the picture.!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,498 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is the best place to view Eiffel tower at night?

We always go out to the Pont des Arts, a pedestrian bridge, with a half bottle of Champagne and sit with what seems to be half of the young-at-heart people in Paris. Some are playing music, others are having a picnic, some just mulling about. You can only see about 1/2 of the tower, but you can also see the lights on the Left and Right Banks and the Seine tour boats cruising underneath you.

The Champagne is illegal so practice saying "Je ne parle pas."

Pjk