We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

Next week we are visiting Paris. As my son is under 26 years i understand he gets discounted rates to museums etc.

i did not want to carry his passport around with us for obvious reasons, but what is counted as official ID for age?

will a photocopy be sufficient of his passport?

he has no other photographic ID apart from passport.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

me and my boyfriend both have photocopies of our passports and I believe this will be sufficient, it's worked for me in the past in the USA

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,018 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

How old is your son? We travel with our 16 year old daughter who is 5'9" tall. We've never been asked to prove she is under 26, probably because she looks well under 26.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

What does he use at home to prove his age.

Tonbridge, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

His driving license has a picture and a date of birth... he probably has used it for years to prove he is 18 plus to get into pubs and clubs. It is an EU standard document accepted in France

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,828 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

Just carry a photocopy of passport info page ..that has always been enough for my daughter.

Paris...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

Passport is best, although students/unemployed with ID may get further réductions. Check websites for dates (closures, days when admission is free, réservations to avoid queues.)

Driving licences (in themselves) are no longer accepted as "official" proof of identity (you'd need both passport, licence and credit card as a minimum when hiring a car.) For museum entry it would be ok.

Very unlikely but in an emergency (contact with the police, or hospital when EHIC alone might not do) better to have your passport (original). On the other hand, losing it or having it stolen (just as unlikely) could be a nightmare too.

Although it is not technically the law that you carry ID - the police here would have you believe that it is, and will be surprised if you have neither national ID card nor passport - most French people carry their national ID card as a matter of course (some might disagree.) For a foreign tourist, the passport is the next best thing.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

Lets hope he is not like my friend who was travelling in the US around New York when they went into a bar the doorman stopped him and said we can serve your mother but not you. As the woman with him was his wife of 10 years and he was two years older than her the doorman nearly got a black eye from her he said thank you and walked out.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,382 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

By law you are supposed to carry your original ID (national ID card or passport) with you at all times in France and theoretically can be fined for not doing so. Unless you belong to an ethnic minority or are engaged in unruly behaviour your probability of being checked is infinitely small - no police officer has checked my ID in the 27 years I have lived in France, although I have frequently seen them checking, or rather harrassing individuals whose skin colour is darker than than that of the majority.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

reason I asked this question as I read some museums etc offer discounts to <26year olds with proof of ID. my son is 12, but I don't want to carry a passport around in case of loss/theft.

I will just carry a photocopy and see how we get on.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,018 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proof of age(<26yrs) ID

If your son is only 12, you won't have an issue.

Our son is the same age (just turned 13) and we had no problems in any of the places we visited last month. I am fairly certain there is no way your son could pass for over 26 :o)